BH Quick Draw 2 --- HELP!

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
BH.JPG

I picked this up on Ebay as a backup detector and it's given me nothing but problems. As soon as I turn it on and try to use it the thing starts beeping erratically --- think R2-D2 on crystal meth. I read the guide thoroughly, played with different settings and modes in different environments and even sent it to the Bounty Hunter Repairs Dept. They sent it back a few weeks later with a letter saying that they had re-calibrated it (with no positive results). Is there some specific setting on this thing that works best??? It seems oversensitive & erratic to the point that zeroing in on an ACTUAL target in the ground is impossible. In air tests it consistently identified modern pull tabs as nickels no matter what the setting. I'm about ready to play metal detector baseball with the nearest tree!
Any experienced QD2 users out there...?
HH
-spyguy

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was a pioneer 505 and I found alot of good stuff with it, yours looks similar so you may be able to set it up the same as I did mine. I also almost wrapped mine around a tree because of all the erratic noise, these settings helped reduce all the noise. Turn it on with both knobs set around the 1:00 position then press the disc button. Mine set this way would reduce most of the random noise of the all metal mode.

jsulateskee

Dec 14, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave & Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're going to want to lower the sensitivity, make sure your 'disc/all metal' button is engaged so that you are in 'discrimination mode' and turn it up to around the 12:00-1:00 position. Can I ask what types of areas you have tried it in? It could be the ground or it could be interference from nearby power lines, electrical boxes, etc...Also, have you tried any other detectors in the same area and have experienced similar or different issues?It could simply be due the area that you are in and what's around it. Hope this helps. Let us know....

YukonCornelius61

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had trouble with mine, kept finding hot rocks, so I got the small 4 inch coil, worked a lot better... we have a lot of quartz/iron around here.

Bill Sayre

Feb 20, 2018
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be the connection for the coil, where it plugs into the main housing. I had read that dirt and gunk can get inside the socket and cause it to behave erratically. What you can do is unplug the coil and make sure there's no dirt or anything in the plug housing. On the control box, there's two screws that hold these two pieces of a plastic "bracket" (for lack of a better term) that holds the socket in place. Remove those, and you can pull out the socket. If it was anything like mine on my Pioneer 202, you'll have dirt and dust caked in between the metal contacts. Clean that, and plug the coil back into the socket before putting the brackets back in place, as they help keep the plug plugged in snuggly, and you have to move it around a bit to ensure a tight connection between the two. It'll make sense when you're looking at everything.
While mine wasn't as bad as yours, doing that certainly made a big difference. That, and also making sure the cable is wrapped so that there's no slack that can wiggle while you're swinging the coil back and forth, since that can apparently cause false beeps. That, and also make sure you're using good quality alkaline batteries, that don't say "heavy duty" on them, as those can affect performance.
Good luck.

Last edited:

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's something wrong with either your coil or machine. I never had any problem with my qd2 like the one you're describing.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the coil have a coil cover on it? If yes, please remove and clean.

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fresh batteries. These machines go nuts when the batteries get low. Other than that, I’d second all the others saying to check the connections for dirt, and make sure you aren’t trying to use it near saltwater, or highly mineralized dirt. They don’t like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread