Best BH for mineralized soil?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think you need a machine that can be ground balanced. The only two I know that can be ground balanced are the Land Ranger Pro and the Platinum. The Platinum is a repackaged Teknetics Gamma and the Land Ranger Pro is also being sold by Teknetics as the Liberator.

Hope this helps

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
my time ranger does pretty good but is not for the beach i figured that out a few weeks ago

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of you BH owners know which is best for mineralized soil, not expecting the performance of a Minelab, just thought 1 might be better than another. Thanks

If your talking wet salt sand No Bounty Hunter including the Platinum model is going to work well in wet salt sand, they are single freq detectors and because salt is made up of metal minerals it will think there is metal every where. The only way to counter that is turn you sensitivity way down but by doing so your also turning down your depth to a couple inches or less. Gold is denser that beach sand and will continue to sink until it hits something that stops it.

OP
OP
G

Goldfynger

Greenie
Sep 18, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses guys, I did some further research and found that it actually is not to bad in mineralized soil, in fact there is a 4" Gold Nugget coil for it. I have had some other top machines so I have some experience. I had a Exterra 705 that worked great on the beach but was overwhelmed on a tailings pile.
So I picked up a Tracker just for fun, gonna see how it does. I'll post my results for sure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses guys, I did some further research and found that it actually is not to bad in mineralized soil, in fact there is a 4" Gold Nugget coil for it. I have had some other top machines so I have some experience. I had a Exterra 705 that worked great on the beach but was overwhelmed on a tailings pile.
So I picked up a Tracker just for fun, gonna see how it does. I'll post my results for sure.
On land not an issue it has manual ground balance on wet salt sand it sucks.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might work. The Tracker IV has an old style autotracking of mineralization as you swing. The newer Whites Treasure Pro might get you a better depth though.

If you're hunting dry land, any manual/auto ground balance detector should be fine, the lower the freq the better.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I would think you need a machine that can be ground balanced. The only two I know that can be ground balanced are the Land Ranger Pro and the Platinum. The Platinum is a repackaged Teknetics Gamma and the Land Ranger Pro is also being sold by Teknetics as the Liberator.

Hope this helps

I definitely recommend those 2, but the discovery 3300 also has manual ground balance and can sometimes be found used for $100 or so.

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've got everything from Oklahoma red dirt to Cimarron river and Salt Fork of the Arkansas river saline soil around here and my old 3300 deals with it quite well. Good machine for the money.

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your talking wet salt sand No Bounty Hunter including the Platinum model is going to work well in wet salt sand, they are single freq detectors and because salt is made up of metal minerals it will think there is metal every where. The only way to counter that is turn you sensitivity way down but by doing so your also turning down your depth to a couple inches or less. Gold is denser that beach sand and will continue to sink until it hits something that stops it.

Everybody says that but i use my TK4 in wet salt sand with no problems. i run tone at 12:00 and sensitivity at 11:00 and have hit quarters at 6 inches , one good scoops worth. If i run all metal (more sensitive) it does false's a lot at the end of swing or if i hit the sand or seaweed. That's up to the waters edge. Need to swing slower and more carefully. In the ocean it does suck big time.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Legacy 3500 has the option of manual ground balance (it's the same as a Discovery 3300 - only a newer version of it)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions