Three generations of family, and detectors.

JMaynard

Aug 4, 2018
Texas
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger, BH Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an interesting hunt recently, actually downright entertaining for me even though I didn't get to search very much. My parents are snowbirding it in their R/V to my little corner of West Texas. My dad told me they had bought a detector, which he said was a Time Ranger (it was actually a Tracker IV) and they wanted to go find some treasures. Now I have been looking up city ordinances in regards to our local parks for a while and couldn't find anything saying that metal detectors were banned, just couldn't do dangerous sports like golf, so I figured what the heck lets go. So we get a time all set up to meet up and go, I grab my detectors and digging tool and a couple of shots of vodka. Don't worry they were driving, no impaired driving by me, ever.... My oldest decided he wanted to tag along to fly his new drone, for all of five minutes. When we arrived where we decided to detect, a lodge built in the thirties, I had barely looked around and my father was already swinging away. I offered up one of my detectors to my mother who immediately grabbed it and went off in her own direction. Now it's important to note that I was the only one who thought to bring a digging tool, because for the next hour and a half I was digging and revealing the finds as opposed to kicking the hard packed dirt hoping for a surface find. The buzzing of a drone, the beeps of two separate detectors, and the rapid beeping of my pin pointer filled the air. It was like herding cats. On my knees digging my dads signal, "I got one over here",
"OK give me a second, gotta dig this target",
"I got another one"
"Wait, where's the first one?"
"Over there by that stick"
With my detector slung over my shoulder or laying on the ground as I dug up someone else's target I gave my son my detector to try out so he wouldn't get too bored. Yep add a third voice calling for me to dig up whatever was causing the noise. Meanwhile, my mother was detecting things, my dad trying to verify where her target was was smacking the detector she was using with his, in a veritable beep beep sword fight (they were both trying to verify the same target at the same time) and me trying to tell them they can't. I did finally get to swing my own detector for a moment at about sundown. Nice high pitched signal, yeah it was a screw, but eh, I'll take it at least I found something. Oh I forgot to mention, at first I was handing the finds to my parents as I dug them up, but after they threw the first couple of pull tabs like the original owners had, with me scolding them about it, I only handed them the coins they found. The sun had gone down, and when we jumped back into the truck my mom proudly announced that she had won, finding 12 cents in clad as opposed to my dad's 3 cents, and my screw. But we did clean up a nice amount of trash from the park and at the very least I had a whole lot of laughs.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had an interesting hunt recently, actually downright entertaining for me even though I didn't get to search very much. My parents are snowbirding it in their R/V to my little corner of West Texas. My dad told me they had bought a detector, which he said was a Time Ranger (it was actually a Tracker IV) and they wanted to go find some treasures. Now I have been looking up city ordinances in regards to our local parks for a while and couldn't find anything saying that metal detectors were banned, just couldn't do dangerous sports like golf, so I figured what the heck lets go. So we get a time all set up to meet up and go, I grab my detectors and digging tool and a couple of shots of vodka. Don't worry they were driving, no impaired driving by me, ever.... My oldest decided he wanted to tag along to fly his new drone, for all of five minutes. When we arrived where we decided to detect, a lodge built in the thirties, I had barely looked around and my father was already swinging away. I offered up one of my detectors to my mother who immediately grabbed it and went off in her own direction. Now it's important to note that I was the only one who thought to bring a digging tool, because for the next hour and a half I was digging and revealing the finds as opposed to kicking the hard packed dirt hoping for a surface find. The buzzing of a drone, the beeps of two separate detectors, and the rapid beeping of my pin pointer filled the air. It was like herding cats. On my knees digging my dads signal, "I got one over here",
"OK give me a second, gotta dig this target",
"I got another one"
"Wait, where's the first one?"
"Over there by that stick"
With my detector slung over my shoulder or laying on the ground as I dug up someone else's target I gave my son my detector to try out so he wouldn't get too bored. Yep add a third voice calling for me to dig up whatever was causing the noise. Meanwhile, my mother was detecting things, my dad trying to verify where her target was was smacking the detector she was using with his, in a veritable beep beep sword fight (they were both trying to verify the same target at the same time) and me trying to tell them they can't. I did finally get to swing my own detector for a moment at about sundown. Nice high pitched signal, yeah it was a screw, but eh, I'll take it at least I found something. Oh I forgot to mention, at first I was handing the finds to my parents as I dug them up, but after they threw the first couple of pull tabs like the original owners had, with me scolding them about it, I only handed them the coins they found. The sun had gone down, and when we jumped back into the truck my mom proudly announced that she had won, finding 12 cents in clad as opposed to my dad's 3 cents, and my screw. But we did clean up a nice amount of trash from the park and at the very least I had a whole lot of laughs.

It's not so much the things that you find while metal detecting. The real treasure found in those family outings are the happy memories that you keep for a lifetime.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like fun getting the coil over a target is the main part but its fun looking

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the Vodka part.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job JM, now...some nice well deserved quite time for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread