Discovery 3300 - Ground Balance VS Disc question and other tips?

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 2016 I bought 30 acres of rural land that was a plantation in the 1800s, and then was a modern farm up until the 1970s. The idea came to me recently that I really ought to metal detect this place. Knowing absolutely nothing about detecting, and not wanting to invest too much initially, I ended up buying a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300. This unit seemed beginner friendly enough that a novice could handle it, but also offered enough features to offer worthwhile detecting. Well I've put about a dozen hours into using it so far, which I understand is barely scraping the surface when you're learning a new (to you) unit. Despite only barely knowing what I'm doing, I've already managed to find some interesting relics.

That said, I've come to realize that my land is highly mineralized (red clay galore), so I've been experimenting with manual ground balancing on this 3300. It does help with Pinpoint mode, but the manual is vague about whether Discrimination mode and/or All Metal mode are filtered through the manual ground balance potentiometer. I've read conflicting opinions on the internet, but most folks say that the manual ground balance only works in All Metal mode. However the manual itself on page 19 says this:

page-19.png

It stands to reason, that Discrimination mode must be filtered through manual ground balancing, if it is affected by adjusting that potentiometer. Right?

The areas I'm searching right now are awful trashy with old iron, so I tend to run in Discrimination mode to filter junk iron out. I've recently ordered the 4" sniper coil to help with isolation too. I'm also planning to get a 5" DD coil for this unit, as I've read that style of coil works well in highly mineralized soil. That said, if anybody is a 3300 expert and has some tips about getting the most out of this detector, I'm definitely listening. Especially concerning using a 3300 in trashy and highly mineralized soil.

Thanks

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground balance only works in all metal mode. I used a Fisher F4 (similar to the BH 3300). I never could get used to the VCO tones in all metal mode so I ran in disc mode since I rather hear 3 tones. If the machine is too chatty, reduce your sensitivity. I am mainly a coin shooter so I discriminated out iron when I started so I could reduce the sounds I was hearing.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
false signals are more apt to happen when you run you sensitivity high and then swing over edges of all sorts or the coil is hitting solid objects such as pine cones, nuts, stones, thick stalks and such. I alway double check a sugnal by swinging over it in another direction sort of an X pattern, this also helps me pinpoint where the target is located.

OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground balance only works in all metal mode.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm interested in how you know this for certain. The 3300 manual reads ambiguously about the matter (to me anyway). If the ground balance knob only works for all metal, I don't understand why its position would affect discrimination mode as the manual claims.

I am mainly a coin shooter so I discriminated out iron when I started so I could reduce the sounds I was hearing.
I too am discriminating iron out when I search this old plantation, as there are loads and loads of iron objects in the ground. (I've dug enough square nails to build a shed by now.) But with the ground also being mineralized, I have been attempting to ground balance to compensate. If discrimination mode doesn't support manual ground balance, I assume there must be auto-ground balancing for its discrimination mode.

I have tried to contact Bounty Hunter about these questions directly, but the email client on their contact page keeps crashing when I use it. :icon_scratch:

false signals are more apt to happen when you run you sensitivity high and then swing over edges of all sorts or the coil is hitting solid objects such as pine cones, nuts, stones, thick stalks and such.

I have unearthed particular roots which seemed to cause the 3300 to false read. Unless the root had enveloped a coin as it grew or something.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Manual GB should work in both modes. I think they recommend setting manual GB in all metal mode so you don't try to GB over iron. You can't hear the iron in discrim mode.

OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't find any info on what the preset GB value is. Manual ground balance will always get you maximum depth in mineralized soil. Red clay is tough (lots of iron). Probably wouldn't hurt to double check the ground balance a few times while detecting. It can change quickly and you won't realize. The only con with the 3300 is the slower recovery speed. Just make sure to swing slow and it should find you lots of cool stuff until you decide to upgrade.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this from a post in 2013, it may help you

Last edited:
OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only con with the 3300 is the slower recovery speed. Just make sure to swing slow and it should find you lots of cool stuff until you decide to upgrade.

I have noticed the slower recovery speed, and started swinging slower. I was definitely swinging too fast to begin with. Manually ground balancing somewhat correctly has helped fight through the red clay. Most interesting things I've found so far, have been the brass face of a padlock, and the frame of a brass pocket watch, both are absolutely from the 1800s. Also a five foot long two man bucking saw with lance teeth. Well, I've only explored less than 1% of my property thus far, hoping some old coins or brooch lie in wait.

I found this from a post in 2013, it may help you

Thanks for the video, it was definitely helpful in understanding how to use pinpoint mode to ground balance.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bounty hunter is telling me it carries over. Maybe the Fisher F4 is different.
Screenshot_20210122-104813_One UI Home.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread