Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello pshaw54; It is an almost sure bet that when you go to a larger diameter coil, then you will get better depth. A rule of thumb would be that depth on a dime would be 8" with an 8" coil, and 10" with a 10" coil. Im sure it would be an excellent choice for detecting in dry sand. A couple of extra inches in detecting depth, especially on a beach, could bring a big improvement on your total finds. Good hunting!

FelixtheCat

Jan 24, 2008
Miami
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 / Tesoros Deleon & Sand Shark
I noticed more depth overall when I went from the 8" to the 10" coil on my Discovery 3300. Well worth the inexpensive cost of the coil.

beached whale

Feb 9, 2008
If you get the new 10 I would air test on different metals and practice on or in the ground to get aquainted with it before running down to the beach. I put one on my landstar and run to the beach without doing this and was a totally different machine. I am no expert. I've only done md n for a few months. :icon_study:

OP
OP
pshaw54

pshaw54

Jun 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
That works. They seem to be pretty cheap, so maybe I'll look into investing in one. Thanks!

T

The.Boomer

Hi Guys, I've used the tracker Mark IV for many years now and can tell you allot about it. First off it's in my opinion one of the best detectors on the market for what it's targeted for, that is the newbie. It has a depth in most New England states of about 6 inches on a dime which is more than enough, since most good finds are no deeper and most are around the 3-4 inch depth. The tracker IV also is really accurate at pinpointing your target. So what settings work best for me you ask ? I set the Selector switch to Tone ID, The Sensitivity to as high as possible without getting chatter or false blips, and the Descrimination somewhere between the nine to twelve Oclock position on the dial (I bring and use a test rusty old nail, placed on the ground I'll be searching and desciminate it out but only untill it has a faint scratchy sound ) BTW as to the question about the ten inch coil I have it and yes it can and does get you deeper. But I rarely try to go deeper since like I said most of the good stuff is only at the three to four inch depth. If your not finding wheat cents then, your location is probably already cleaned out or never had older coins to begin with. Good research pays off, you can't find what's not there. If you are finding wheaties then you've got a chance of finding silver.

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
The.Boomer said:
Hi Guys, I've used the tracker Mark IV for many years now and can tell you allot about it. First off it's in my opinion one of the best detectors on the market for what it's targeted for, that is the newbie. It has a depth in most New England states of about 6 inches on a dime which is more than enough, since most good finds are no deeper and most are around the 3-4 inch depth. The tracker IV also is really accurate at pinpointing your target. So what settings work best for me you ask ? I set the Selector switch to Tone ID, The Sensitivity to as high as possible without getting chatter or false blips, and the Descrimination somewhere between the nine to twelve Oclock position on the dial (I bring and use a test rusty old nail, placed on the ground I'll be searching and desciminate it out but only untill it has a faint scratchy sound ) BTW as to the question about the ten inch coil I have it and yes it can and does get you deeper. But I rarely try to go deeper since like I said most of the good stuff is only at the three to four inch depth. If your not finding wheat cents then, your location is probably already cleaned out or never had older coins to begin with. Good research pays off, you can't find what's not there. If you are finding wheaties then you've got a chance of finding silver.

I am thinking about getting the big coil also. I hit the beach today at low tide and realized that wow there is a ton more beach exposed. How am I going to cover all this area and where the hell do I start? I think the larger coil will help me cover more ground.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iv used my BH for years and found all kinds of stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread