• P1010386.JPG
    P1010386.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 563

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lynn
You made a great buy for 20 bucks....Although I cannot date it exact, I refinish chests and trunks and think because of the style its a blanket chest from the late 1700's
Can you count the boards ....6 board chests were usually the way they made them during that time.
I think yours is fantastic with the punched decor

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Gypsy Heart
Much thanks, I feel like I am on road show!! "I had no idea!" I was thinking early 1800's but I don't have much knowledge on furnature. I'll check on the boards but I know each end side is all one solid board, almost tree looking.

Diverlynn

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Measure those ends....the wider the board will give clue to age....and worth more moola!
If the iron is hammered and forged ,that will also be a good clue.

look at nails or screws because that will help also.

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Gypsy Heart,
Did some checking. All sides and bottom are 1 solid piece each, hand made. Old square nails are still there but new (along time ago) hinges were attached.

Lynn

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Gypsy Heart,
Can you give me some recommendations on what to nourish the wood and finish? steel wool, conditioner and???

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lynn...I am big on loving every scratch,ding and mark that comes with old furniture....
I usually just use Murpheys Wood soap on wood and Saddle soap on leather pieces....
Then I use Old English oil to coat entire piece in and let it soak in then use old tea towel to remove any excess....I try not to use steel wool unless I have to on iron.....I usually take an old soft toothbrush with WD40 oil on it and gently rub any rust off.....a fine grain emery board will also remove any scratches......if there is a gouge in wood that was once covered in stain and the lighter wood is showing through...I try to find a place on the piece that was stained but not showing and remove some of the stain with a cotton rag dipped in mineral oil....the stain color will transfer to the rag and then I rub it into the gouge to give it the same color....
If the trunk has a bad smell to the inside ....I will place a cup of baking soda in it and let it set a few days .....you can also sprinkle a mix of baking soda and cinnamon to give it a good smell.....Cant wait to see what you do with this.......And one more thing.....I use trunks and old wood chests for storage.....but ...take an old stocking (pantyhose) and fill it with baking soda or activated charcoal and place inside...this will help keep any dampness away from papers...bedding...etc.....Activated charcoal is also great to stop your silver from tarnishing....since I know you will be filling it with your pirates caches!

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Thanks so much. I want to keep the scratches and history of it also. The lid is in very good shape but very very dry and faded no stain left on it but the rest is in good condition. I am afraid to try to match stain for the top. Will clean and condition as directed and see where I am with it.

:thumbsup:

Diverlynn

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
If you have to re-stain it to match...use Minniwax Gel Stain.....its the best I have found.....to get an exact match , take a couple of the cans that you think best match and try it on the bottom or inside lid until you get the match...the gel stain doesnt spill..drip...and dries fast....try a couple of colors to get the closest...do this before the oil treatment....after the Murpheys soap.....

OP
OP
diverlynn

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Well, here is what I have at this time. I am very pleased. I used some tung oil, came out very impressive, don't you think?

Diverlynn

Attachments

• P1010419a.jpg
    P1010419a.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 522
  • P1010407a.jpg
    P1010407a.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 508
  • P1010406a.jpg
    P1010406a.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 522

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great runk........I have a very old one also.........and what nice about it is, the inserts are all still intact. Most come empty without them. Very nice find! I do have an old claw bath tub! If anyone is interested.................... :wink:

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Lynn....It turned out just beautiful and looks fantastic....You did a great job!

And John...I have dibs on that tub!

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Those old claw bath tubs are all in fashion again now. I wouldn't know how to restore on tho. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread