lock box

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
i acquired a metal lock box lately and it seems to be made of hammered pewter or similar material size is 5by3 by 3.5 inches including the four feet. a lock on top with no key, with moveable handle on the top. it is riveted together and locked. i googled it but cant seem to find anything like it. fax died so no pix yet anyway. any info on this would be appreciated. could be 16th, 17th or 18th century?????

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
well ...made a key and box is open...its a bridal box 16th century...with coat of arms on one side...for the 16th century its got an intricate locking system..anyone got a clue what its worth??? made of hammered metal and riveted together...

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
heres the pics...any idea what this 16th century bridal box is worth???

Attachments

• 100_2008.JPG
    100_2008.JPG
    561.7 KB · Views: 602
  • 100_2013.JPG
    100_2013.JPG
    529.1 KB · Views: 543
  • 100_2012.JPG
    100_2012.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 552
  • 100_2011.JPG
    100_2011.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 100_2010.JPG
    100_2010.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 541
  • 100_2009.JPG
    100_2009.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 551
  • 100_2014.JPG
    100_2014.JPG
    524.3 KB · Views: 515

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wodw! That's an incredibly strong locking mechanism on that little box. Guess the maker didn't think about someone just carrying off the whole darn box? Neat find. Monty

S

stefen

Assuming the box is a 'Bridal Box' the limited research shows about every size, shape and material imaginable. Metal, ivory, wood, soapstone...you name it, and its to be found.

Apparently, its a old european Judeo-Christain tradition...A Tzedakah, for instance, becomes a jewel box.

Other boxes are trunk size and are used to contain a trouseau...

These boxes are generally hand made as a craft and not necessarily purchased in a store...

So, therefore, your metal box may have been made by a family member for the bride, the maker possibly being a metal worker (maybe an apprentice) considering the crude quality
of workmanship.

How about some history of where you obtained the box and trhe like.

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
part of an estate that the father died recently a note inside said it was a bridal box 16th century written by the deceased father ...the family went back and forth to europe to the US...probably obtainedin an antique shop over there...no key came with it ...when it was opened a piece of the old key had snapped off so i guess everyone gave up on it...until i came along and mcivered it...thats the story...whats it worth???

S

stefen

Not sure who would be qualified to appraise this family heirloom...The British equilivant to the Road Show maybe... :dontknow:

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Interesting Box. I am sure you googled it a dozen times as did I. I did not find anything that looked close to what you have. Seems like each one is uniquely made for the bride to be. http://www.csnstores.com/Authentic-Modelss-Bridal-boxes-Collection-X11864.html I did find this one in hand painted wood form $200 - $250. I like the deer and unicorn characters on your box. Not sure what the third character is suppose to be on the other face of the box. I have no doubt there are folks who collect "Bridal Boxes" since they have been around for a while in Europe. I would think what you have could bring in the hundreds of dollars to the right competing customers in an ebay auction setting. http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=16...century&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 This page on ebay lists 16th century boxes from $16 - $2,000, but they appear to be more finely detailed than what you have, so yours may not bring a lot, :dontknow:. If it doesn't have sentimental value to you, give it a shot on ebay. Nice find for sure.

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
thanks for trying ralph...dont quite know what to do now...i dont do ebay anymore...dont trust them folks... ??? anyway im still hunting for gold in the h20..little stuff nothing notable..guess after the star sapphire[worth $1400] im spoiled now...anyway good luck ,your next for the big gold...hh dave

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel that this piece is more likely 17th century than 16th.
The detail is more indicative of the 1600's. Have you sold this box yet?
If not let me know if you're willing to sell it privately and at what price point?

Thanks,
Dave

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
yes i still have the lockbox...im currently filling it with jewels from the rings that I've sent to be melted down....price is a tough question...im not going to give it away....this box is apparently quite rare as i have searched around and cant find any like it...so if your interested we are talking 4 to 5 figures...i envision someone buying it and using it again as a gift for a bride to be as it was intended....so if your interested make a serious offer as it might go to auction in the near future.....thanks .....HH

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your response Captain. I agree, this box is unusual and probably rare due to it's diminutive size. Although I feel your idea of it's real value is a bit exaggerated due to your enthusiasm. :wink:

Please don't get me wrong, I do feel that this piece is worth in the range of $1,000 - $2,000 at auction. But, as for your evaluation of $10,000 :icon_scratch: I think that if you were to have the initials on the front researched and could trace it's provenance then it certainly could bring more in a serious auction.

As for selling it through eBay . . . I'd stay away from that. :laughing7:

It's a great piece and if it were mine, I'd hold onto it.

Cheers,
David

Attachments

• box_2.JPG
    box_2.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 526
  • box_3.JPG
    box_3.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 547
  • box_4.JPG
    box_4.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 543

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I think I saw a box like this one on "pawn stars". The box that they had shared the safe like locking mechanism. It required a combination before it could be opened. A simple turn of the key didn't do the trick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread