image-3760976072.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 355

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are certain purities of silver sometimes placed on silver items. But when its stamped sterling it should be above .925. any makers marks or other info?

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A T over A makers mark in block letters. I have seen similar boxes online, and they have different initials. It's worn, and hard to capture.

Maybe I should post in G sale finds.

I thought sterling meant 925, not another number.. I am new to the sterling game, but loving the finds!

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A T over A makers mark in block letters. I have seen similar boxes online, and they have different initials. It's worn, and hard to capture.

Maybe I should post in G sale finds.

I thought sterling meant 925, not another number.. I am new to the sterling game, but loving the finds!

Scouting for silver can get costly. Reproductions and fakes are very common. Some sterling is magnetic some isn't. If your in it for scrap than grind it a little and test with acid. Or just take it to a cash for gold shop. Watch for sterling filled and plated items. No silver turns green. If its cheap you can get away with buying it just to see and resale at a garage sale for the next person who isnt sure just to make your cash back. You can make a lot of money or you can go broke quick. But I'm 95% sure yours is not real but I could be wrong. I do have a few T over A pieces that are plated.

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm. Well passes magnet test. I should jut gouge and acid test.

Did you notice the top is autographed by about 20 cursive signatures. Seems like its from a early decade. Repros, and fakes produced much in the 30 through 50s?

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,looks like it was really signed by Clint e frank. A heisman an trophy winner. I guess I'll repost in sport memorabilia.

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, yeah that's it.

I only have 11 signatures, and no dates. I would guess that it's a box from a reunion from a later date than the one in the ad. Perhaps they would buy a sterling box from the same jewelry store for their yearly or 5 yearly get together.

Thanks for finding the other ad.

http://www.mysticfuneralhome.com/obituary.php?id=1133

This gentlemans signature is also on the box.

Last edited:

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being a fraternity guy myself, my first thought was that it was a discarded fraternity gift. Many times a fraternity pledge class will make gifts for the fraternity president and their pledge master. The pledge class tries to think of an item that the receivers will hold onto and then they personalize it. this might have been something left over in an estate sale at one point.

I can't tell from the pictures on where the 450 is located, but if it is not associated with the maker's mark, it could have some significance to the fraternity, if indeed it is fraternity related.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 450 is on the bottom. It's under the T over A, and sterling on the bottom. It does not seem to me to be the frat number. The cogarette box in the link from blue hunter describes it perfectly, but minehas only with 11 signatures.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 450 is on the bottom. It's under the T over A, and sterling on the bottom. It does not seem to me to be the frat number. The cogarette box in the link from blue hunter describes it perfectly, but minehas only with 11 signatures.

That is what makes me thinkit is a pledge class gift. Pledge classes vary in size. So while one gift may have 20 signatures, another may only have 11, or less.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very interesting post and story behind your find CoinFetcher! :thumbsup:
Hope you've figured out how the AT Pro works, certainly the best machine I've ever used!

Dave

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread I know but the number on the bottom with the sterling mark is a manufacturers number used to identify that particular model or pattern of that box.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stirling is .925 silver or better mixed with copper, zinc, or nickle (maybe others?)

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks - i use it to keep my metal detecting finds now!

I wish I had a worthpoint account, because that worthpoint link in the first page is the same box if I believe.

Have a good day everyone!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I've seen and found some sterling 950. You sure it's a 4? Otherwise, maybe it is an item#.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread