An old trunk that I found

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.
The house that my family and I live in is one that my grandparents lived in until they passed away. When we moved in and cleaned out the garage, I fond this old trunk (which was empty! :P)

My grandmother, Gloria Lamping, wrote very small on the inside of the trunk:

"Since I was a small girl this belonged to my great-grandmother Hays - Gloria Lamping"

The way I figure it, her great-grandmother would be my great-great-great grandmother. That means the trunk would have belonged to Mahala Byers Hays, who was born on September 5, 1834, married in 1854, and died in 1915.

From the look of the box, what period would it be placed in? Mid 19th, late 19th, early 20th century? Any info about the make, type, etc. would be appreciated.

PHOTOS:

C04.jpg

C03.jpg

C02.jpg

C01.jpg

S

stefen

I have an exact mate to your trunk in my mountain home...assumed it dated from the late 1800's.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Pimp Lenin,
neat trunk.

Good story with it. :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting.

have a good un............
SHERMANVILLE

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story-really cool piece. You are very lucky to have something like that still in the family. Sorry don't know anything about its age.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
These trunks must not be sooo very rare. I also have one. Yours is in better shape than mine. It is my understanding that these were used as a suit case would be today. That is the purpose for the compartments. If I remember correctly, these trunks date back to the old country. Don't quote me on that!! Nice old trunk!!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

This trunk is what is commonly know as a 'Steamer Trunk'. These trunks where designed with a 'flat top' so they could be easily stacked while in storage on board a steamship and on automobile trips. The earlier models of 'domed' type trunks were made for transport on stagecoaches and in horse drawn wagons. :thumbsup:

Dave

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!

Put it to use!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread