Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Apr 2006
    The Great State of Louisiana
    P.O.S.
    1 times

An old trunk that I found

The house that my family and I live in is one that my grandparents lived in until they passed away. When we moved in and cleaned out the garage, I fond this old trunk (which was empty! :P)

My grandmother, Gloria Lamping, wrote very small on the inside of the trunk:

"Since I was a small girl this belonged to my great-grandmother Hays - Gloria Lamping"

The way I figure it, her great-grandmother would be my great-great-great grandmother. That means the trunk would have belonged to Mahala Byers Hays, who was born on September 5, 1834, married in 1854, and died in 1915.

From the look of the box, what period would it be placed in? Mid 19th, late 19th, early 20th century? Any info about the make, type, etc. would be appreciated.

PHOTOS:

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    874 times

Re: An old trunk that I found

I have an exact mate to your trunk in my mountain home...assumed it dated from the late 1800's.
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

May 2005
    19 times

Pimp Lenin,
    neat trunk.

Good story with it.
    Thanks for posting.

have a good un............
    SHERMANVILLE
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    59 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

mid to late 1800s.
    beautiful chest.
    ALLEN

Aug 2012
    Yeah really cool chest

us
    Jun 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites IDX Pro
    108 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great story-really cool piece. You are very lucky to have something like that still in the family. Sorry don't know anything about its age.
    I would rather be the man who bought the Brooklyn Bridge than the man who sold it ~ Will Rogers

us
    Apr 2011
    Northern New Jersey
    eyes
    29 times
    collecting war relics and antiques, shooting
    As long as there are bodies to hide, these trunks will always have a use..

Jul 2012
    1368 times
    These trunks must not be sooo very rare. I also have one. Yours is in better shape than mine. It is my understanding that these were used as a suit case would be today. That is the purpose for the compartments. If I remember correctly, these trunks date back to the old country. Don't quote me on that!! Nice old trunk!!
    Their were so many fewer questions when stars were still just the holes to heaven

ca
    Detect everyday like it's your last day!

Apr 2010
    Ontario Canada
    Garrett At Pro, Lesche - Piranha 35 Shovel, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    462 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

This trunk is what is commonly know as a 'Steamer Trunk'. These trunks where designed with a 'flat top' so they could be easily stacked while in storage on board a steamship and on automobile trips. The earlier models of 'domed' type trunks were made for transport on stagecoaches and in horse drawn wagons.

Dave
    My passion is for hunting relic sites, as I feel the imprint of past lives often lingers there!
    Detectorists finds, are the background noise of antiquity!
    Don't question it ... just dig it!

Sponsors