Buying a new detector

Patfoundit

May 13, 2011
Shelbyville,KY
[h=2][/h]
Hello, Ladies and Gents, I have finally saved up the cash to purchase a new detector. My view is never finance your hobbies. Anyway. I have an old CoinMaster that I have had since the late 70"s and it still works. I have spent hundreds of hours detecting, so I'm not new to the sport just a little rusty. Now that I'm retired (disabled vet) and have time to get back into the dirt, I'm looking for a new machine. I don't know anything about the other brands so I'm sticking to the brand I know. I have narrowed it down to a couple of White's.The Spectra VX3 or the DFX300. Any thoughts on these? is there something better? I'm a coin and relic hunter, but I do enjoy prospecting. I've got around $1000 +- to spend. I would like to buy a model that I can grow into and not be limited after I get up and running. Any and all advise will be appreciated and anybody in central Kentucky looking for someone to detect with, just give me a call.

Thanks

Pat​

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mxt pro from white's, will do you just fine for less than a 1.000.00

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both models you have suggested are good all rounders and will cope with wet salt if you fancy finding some gold rings. The DFX isn't my favourite machine but the pre 300 model can be a real best buy. If money is not a problem I would go for the V3 i . Your problem is going to be deciding just how important prospecting is to you. Some of the cheaper prospecting machines can be really successful for coinshooting.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Pat,
I was wondering, what coinmaster model do you have? I've a White's 6000 D and it is still a good machine. Depending on which Coinmaster model you have the newer machines could still have a long learning curve. I've owned my Spectrum for quite a few years and I'm still learning it. The GMT is a good gold machine though I've never tried it for general coin shooting so I've no idea how it would do. I should try it out just for grins and giggles. As you can tell I am also a White's person. I've read that the White's TDI versions are some really good machines but they are manual dials and switches machines with no screen readouts BUT they work over any type of ground. Expensive yes but they are also good for any type of detecting.

Wireless earphones are really nice to use as there are no wires to get tangled up with. I have a set of TDK WR 700 Wireless HiFi-Headphones that work great with my detectors, better sound reproduction than my Senheisers! I bought them at NewEgg for about $100 but they have them on sale every now and then so if you want to purchase them check for coupons.

Good Luck with your purchase and thank you for your service to your country and all of us!........63bkpkr

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it all depends on how good you are with programs and computers. If you are good with technology than the v3 or v3i is you machine. But of you are a bit out and don't like spending a lifetime to learn how to program your detector and how to take full advantage of it than I would recommend the mxt it is a superb detector and a very good prospecting machine as well. It is not a basic machine at all and if you want to squeeze the juice out of it you need to master it with practice and time, but once you do the mxt will be just as good as any top of line detectors.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I like my TDI though they can cope with any type of ground they are by no way the best for any type of site. They discriminate to a degree but its a flawed type of discrimination and a good way of getting banded (banded !) band from public areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patfoundit

Patfoundit

May 13, 2011
Shelbyville,KY
63bkpkr, it's the old coin master from sears. I'm one of those strange people who take meticulous care of everthing I own. It still finds things but I know its missing the good stuff and I did a lot of holes. That worked in the South Carolina swamp, not in yards. I appreciate all the info from everyone.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, Ladies and Gents, I have finally saved up the cash to purchase a new detector. My view is never finance your hobbies. Anyway. I have an old CoinMaster that I have had since the late 70"s and it still works. I have spent hundreds of hours detecting, so I'm not new to the sport just a little rusty. Now that I'm retired (disabled vet) and have time to get back into the dirt, I'm looking for a new machine. I don't know anything about the other brands so I'm sticking to the brand I know. I have narrowed it down to a couple of White's.The Spectra VX3 or the DFX300. Any thoughts on these? is there something better? I'm a coin and relic hunter, but I do enjoy prospecting. I've got around $1000 +- to spend. I would like to buy a model that I can grow into and not be limited after I get up and running. Any and all advise will be appreciated and anybody in central Kentucky looking for someone to detect with, just give me a call.

Thanks

Pat

Lots of machines can do a decent job of coinshooting, not quite so many at relic hunting, and only a few at gold prospecting. It's not clear from your post how important the gold prospecting aspect is to you, but the DFX isn't going to do the job. The VX3 isn't going to do a decent job, only a lousy one, besides which those thousand bucks to get back into the hobby should include some money spent on things like a good digging tool or two, and arguably things like headphones and battery chargers. Not to mention club dues, cost for maps, etc. From the thousand dollar perspective the VX3 ain't looking so good.

Pat, you mentioned wanting to stick with the brand you know, but your prior experience with that brand is from a long time ago. A lot has happened in the metal detector industry since then, including at White's. Been there and done that.

In the White's lineup, if what you want is a general purpose machine that will do a respectable job of gold prospecting, that machine is the MXT with an approx. 10 inch elliptical DD searchcoil. It is a modification of the GMT platform which is one of the best gold machines on the market. And the MXT's features and performance go far beyond the 1970's Coinmaster.

I'm not gonna knock White's, I've designed products for them including the MXT, I respect White's as a company, and still have friends there in management positions. However you should be considering products from companies besides White's: after all, a lot has changed since the 1970's.

If you're serious about the gold prospecting part of it, I'd recommend reading my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector" which is available as a .pdf on both the Fisher and Teknetics websites. Although its production was a Fisher-Teknetics project, it is useful for anyone who is gold prospecting with a metal detector (even PI) or who is contemplating doing so.

If you decide you're serious about gold prospecting, I recommend checking out the Fisher GB's and Tek G2 (which are the same platforms in slightly different configurations). They are dead-serious gold prospecting machines, and probably the best relic hunting machines in their price category. Among single-frequency machines, they have a reputation for being surprisingly good at saltwater beach work. And when it comes to coinshooting, although there are more expensive machines that'll go deeper where there is no masking from iron, the GB/G2's have an reputation for finding the good stuff in trashy situations that more expensive machines missed due to masking. And nowadays, the most available good beeping sites are the ones that have been beeped many times until they were thought to be "hunted out", but weren't because there was so much good stuff still there often at shallow depths that was masked by iron. ......I'm in engineering, not in marketing and not on commission, and that's my salespitch. I'm not saying buy a GB/G2, only that if gold prospecting is an important part of what you want a metal detector to do, these are models that deserve a serious look since they also do other stuff well.

In any case, I hope that you choose well, are happy with what you get, and enjoy becoming a beeperist again in the 21st century. If in the end you decide to stick with White's, please call the factory and tell 'em hello from Dave.

--Dave Johnson

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread