Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think that they are so close as you think. I think the garret is a hole notch over the bounty hunter 505. You could compare the garrett maybe to the BH Platinum or maybe the Gold. Anyhow if those are your two options I would go with the garrett and not even think it over.

bacusa

Jun 25, 2012
WNC/ETN/SW VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cra61,
I have a 350, and an AT Pro. Love 'em both. The Ace 350 is a solid hunter. It is very easy to learn, has good iron discrimination, and has that bell tone- which sounds like money! But as with any detector, those high tones can also be trash because of conductivity. Try You Tube....I know there are a plethora of 350 videos, might wanna check for your BH. I have found a bunch of coins with my 350.
HH

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I would take the 505 personally. I can't stand the slow recovery speed and delayed response of the Garrett 350. It would be useless in trashy areas in my opinion. I think the 505 is better than most people think.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the ace350 I have the 250 and I really like it wish I woulda got the 350. You won't regret it.
If anyone thinks the BH is a better detector than the 350 must feel and hit there head.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Between the At Pro issues and the Propointer issues I would never buy Garrett products again. Don't they have quality control at that dump?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess since u had a a problem with them then no one souls buy Garrett.
The ace series are great if ur on a budget or just starting out, some people can't afford to spend a grand on a detector.

bacusa

Jun 25, 2012
WNC/ETN/SW VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the above posted, there are issues with the AT Pro, and the pro pointer. While I have read there were some issues initially with the first release AT, those have been resolved. Mine works great, no problems whatsoever and my pro-pointer....wouldn't hunt without it. Read all of the posts, on multiple forums, both the AT, and pro pointer are solid products.
Do your research, and choose "your" best fit, be it Garrett or BH.
Good luck, and HH.

OP
OP
C

cra61

Jul 9, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2+
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your opinions. I will be visiting Kellyco this weekend (I live less than an hour away) and making my decision after handling both detectors.
Rick

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm getting a BH 505 and a AT Gold for Xmas. Was part of package from KellyCo. I've read reports for both and they seem good. I wanted to get a second for the kids, but also wanted to compare the BH to Garrett. I can let ya know how BH does after Xmas. I got the AT Gold because according to Garrett it detects everything. It's a notch above the AT Pro but is also a nugget detector with 18 kHz.

DougJorgie

Jan 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting a BH 505 and a AT Gold for Xmas. Was part of package from KellyCo. I've read reports for both and they seem good. I wanted to get a second for the kids, but also wanted to compare the BH to Garrett. I can let ya know how BH does after Xmas. I got the AT Gold because according to Garrett it detects everything. It's a notch above the AT Pro but is also a nugget detector with 18 kHz.

Any update on this? I am curious how the 505 did vs the AT Gold. I know the AT Gold is better but just curious about the comparison.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well the BH has been a coin magnet. My kids have dug up more coins but my ATG had found smaller items. I'm sure I would've found the same coins as well if I'd gone over the same locations. It just seems that I've been able to pull out some other items that either the BH didn't detect, or maybe it did but didn't beep. For instance, I'd gone over the same location with both detectors. The ATG picked up a mineral in a rock (still unsure of mineral) where the BH didn't even beep.
I'll say the BH you can pretty much just turn the dials to proper setting that they tell ya to do and then just take off and swing, beep, dig. The ATG has a learning curve, which takes time to figure out. I dig every beep still. Reason for that. I passed on a low number thinking it was a nail since I had dug up several already. Son came by with BH. He found a pocket knife in that spot.
I'm still trying to get to my nugget location to try out these two as well. My road was closed for an unknown reason. So now I need alternate back road. Lol

DougJorgie

Jan 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for getting back to me on this, I appreciate it. I was asking because I got a Cabelas Sharp Shooter Ultra Mag made by Bounty Hunter for xmas. I called Bounty Hunter to find out why I couldnt find much info for mine. They told me it was specially made for Cabelas but it is the same thing as a Pioneer 505 but just looks different because it was made for Cabelas. It has been great for me so far. I just went on a group hunt with 2 expensive Whites detectors and a Garrett 350. My BH was find the same things they were. We actually compared a couple of time by passing all detectors over the same spot and all detectors registered the same. I guess it isnt always about how much you spend. One thing I will say though is that I wish I had more of the disc options that the other detectors I was with had.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread