gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
First machine? Get any good brand and you should spend about three hundred or so to start. You can upgrade later. Make sure they throw in a good digger. Get to the hardware store and buy a cheap nail apron. Read your owners manual. Get used to pinpointing and recovering targets your own yard to get a feel for it before you go digging the parks. You are off and running.

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Practice, practice, practice. As suggested, make a test 'garden' in your back yeard. Plant some real dimes, quarters, pop tops, nails, etc. Plant a gold ring if you have one. Mark them with colored toothpicks. Scan them over and over and listen to the tones and read what the detector is telling you. Get someone else to plant and mark things then tell them what each find is before you dig it up. When you get it right time after time, hit the road. Learn to ignore bad finds as you learned. I know, at first we dig every signal. But you will tire of this in time. By eliminating bad holes, you have more time for good ones. Best of luck and I hope your first find is pure gold. I swing a Garret and think they are good for a started.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time to purchase a metal detector.Will be using it in Northwest Florida, along the river and creek banks. As well, old inland dried up lakes and ponds. Appreciate your time and any recommendations.

Waterproof - Garrett AT Pro

Non Waterproof - Tesoro Vaquero

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread