Land & water PI detector?

jaws

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done lot's of research, but I feel like most reviews are done by companies trying to sell their product. Therefore I am asking you-

What is a good land & ocean PI detector? (I travel a lot) > I would rather have one good metal detector, rather than several.

- Money is not an issue
- Weight is not an issue
- Discrimination isn't that important (not a coin/ring hunter)

Please respond with an opinion, it will be greatly valued to me.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the big Minelab GPX5000 is probably the deepest best gold finding PI and at $5,000 quite expensive, but it isn't waterproof. One of the better PIs with diving and all ocean hunting capability is the Garrett Infinium which also is used in gold hunting.. There are videos on Youtube on these machines which may help you decide. PIs, I guess you know are not good for coin hunting parks or the like since they do not discriminate. Garrett also has their new ATX just out and it too is waterproof. I have an Infinium, and one of it's advantages is that there are about five different coils available for it so your one machine can be adapted to several uses. Some folks like the White's Dual Field for ocean work, but I haven't heard much about it being used for nugget hunting or relic hunting, whereas the Big Minelabs and the Infinium are.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done lot's of research, but I feel like most reviews are done by companies trying to sell their product. Therefore I am asking you- What is a good land & ocean PI detector? (I travel a lot) > I would rather have one good metal detector, rather than several. - Money is not an issue - Weight is not an issue - Discrimination isn't that important (not a coin/ring hunter) Please respond with an opinion, it will be greatly valued to me.

Are you sure you want a PI for land detecting? Are you only thinking raw depth? The CTX is a deep machine that is amphibious, has great balance and travels well.

OP
OP
jaws

jaws

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure you want a PI for land detecting? Are you only thinking raw depth? The CTX is a deep machine that is amphibious, has great balance and travels well.

I don't mind digging up trash so I would rather have the most depth possible. Thank you so much for your input though. Curious though, why else would I not want a PI for land?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainly because you'll be digging tiny pieces of iron at 12-20" deep. Maybe if you were hunting a very historical area, had weeks on end to dig it all and it was fairly clean of trash ( that's usually not the case) You said you wanted 1 machine that could be used on land and saltwater beach. Also, you said you're not looking for coins or jewelry. I guess I'm a little confused. Are you wanting to shoot nuggets, hunt caches, relics, etc ?

OP
OP
jaws

jaws

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainly because you'll be digging tiny pieces of iron at 12-20" deep. Maybe if you were hunting a very historical area, had weeks on end to dig it all and it was fairly clean of trash ( that's usually not the case) You said you wanted 1 machine that could be used on land and saltwater beach. Also, you said you're not looking for coins or jewelry. I guess I'm a little confused. Are you wanting to shoot nuggets, hunt caches, relics, etc ?

Yeah - relics/caches/nuggets/meteorites, not so big on public park hunting for peoples dropped coins & bracelets.

Maybe I am just looking for something that doesn't exist, a detector that goes a couple feet deep and looks for fist sized + objects. For land and diving.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "diving" aspect just narrowed the field down to 6-7 detectors. Excaliber, CZ-21, Infinium, Sea Huntee, Sand/ Tiger Shark (freshwater). I'm sure there are more but It's 5:30am and I've only had a 1/2 a cup of joe! The brains a little foggy yet.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah - relics/caches/nuggets/meteorites, not so big on public park hunting for peoples dropped coins & bracelets.

Maybe I am just looking for something that doesn't exist, a detector that goes a couple feet deep and looks for fist sized + objects. For land and diving.

Bingo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread