First Detector - Recommendation

Alanmac

Dec 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I'm new to detecting and looking for a first machine. I'll be detecting mostly dry ground (desert, old locations, etc - mostly interested in relics) but as I live close to the beach (ocean) I would also like to try low tide wet sand/shallow water searching. Understanding that there are severe limitations in regards to salt water applications (without going in to the expensive underwater models), can anyone provide comment on a good (appox) $300 machine. I have been looking at the BH Platinum and the EuroTek Pro.

Thanks in advance,
Alan

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EuroTek Pro would be a good choice. I really like Fishers F2. Best entry level detector I've used (used/owned a lot of em). Can't say enough good things about it for the money.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Right now, in the $200-300 category, the Eurotek Pro offers more value than anything else for most customers in that price range.

Yeah, it's easy for me to say that, being the chief engineer for the company that makes it, but notice with what confidence I make that statement. In most market segments there's room for a lot of argument over who offers more value, and I'd make arguments on our behalf but not that one. After all, we do have competent competitors (some of whom I've worked for). It's not like we kick butt fast and clean everywhere.

In the $200-300 category, even without the Eurotek Pro, we'd be delivering more for less. But the Eurotek Pro is our latest and bestest, and if you read the forum posts on it you'll find that customers love it.

--Dave J.

cadman20

Aug 4, 2010
Go with the Eurotek Pro. Not a beach hunter so can't comment on that, but, it is a crackerjack coin hunter. Good depth and easy to use. I have found (in my soil) that the 8" concentric gives better results than the 11" DD coil. It is just a good detector for the money.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the Eurotek Pro. Not a beach hunter so can't comment on that, but, it is a crackerjack coin hunter. Good depth and easy to use. I have found (in my soil) that the 8" concentric gives better results than the 11" DD coil. It is just a good detector for the money.

I agree with all of these posts⬆⬆

treasurehunter101

Jan 14, 2014
NY AREA
Detector(s) used
Learned on Bounty Hunter Junior, then Tracker IV, and now using the Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the bounty hunter tracker iv!! It's a great price and awesome for a beginner! Get one at hobby lobby and the 40% off coupon you could get a brand new tracker iv for $65.00! Can't beat the price!! Great metal detector!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eurotek Pro. JMHO

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Go with the garrett ace 250 or fisher f2. And you can a lot of times find a very nice used one on Craigslist of eBay. If you do you can have enough for a propointer. Being new having one with save you hours of chasing little bits of wire and trash that are impossible to see.

Those two Detectors are very good for the price. Ask yourself would you rather have a detector made by a big name in metal Detectors that make machines for gold prospecting, underwater use, and other 1000s of dollar machines. Or a bounty hunter which are sold primarily in Walmart, hobby lobby, and other box stores.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
There is a few minelab x-terra 305 machines on ebay used for the price. There is even one with a pinpointer for $250 right now.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a few minelab x-terra 305 machines on ebay used for the price. There is even one with a pinpointer for $250 right now.

For a price like that, I'd be afraid that it's a clone.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I was looking at them for a while because I was thinking about buying one. It's pretty normal to find used ones for $300 or less. But sometimes there have been some with extras because of people get getting out of the hobby. Should be able to have them send the S/N.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at them for a while because I was thinking about buying one. It's pretty normal to find used ones for $300 or less. But sometimes there have been some with extras because of people get getting out of the hobby. Should be able to have them send the S/N.

Sorry, I though you said new lol!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are a " quick and dirty" kinda person , look at The Tesoro Silver uMax . No meter , but very powerful. i own a F2 , Ace 350 and a Silver nMax and most of the time while I'm looking in the back of the truck to see which machine I'm going to use that day ( I like variety) like a golfer wih many clubs...I pull the Tesoro Silver uMax because its light weight and very powerful and does a good job of ignoring iron junk in the ground. I was out a couple of weeks ago hunting a cow pasture with a friend using a $2,500 Minelab. When I pulled the Silver uMax out of the truck I look at him and and taunted him. I said watch out ! Don't let this $200.00 Tesoro " put it on you " ...LOL

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I would not reccomend Bounty Hunter at all, but there are some great choices in the $300.00 range. I think that Teknetics (made by the same company as BH) offers the most for the money at $300.00. Tesoro, while having less features, offers very solid models that actually work in your budget.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread