advice?

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many great deals on the new machines I would go new if you have the choice. Some of the older AT Pros had coil problems that if sent back to Garrett were replaced with new. Great customer service. Also don't discount the AT Gold. This is a fantastic machine for coin and relic hunting as well as being more sensitive to jewelry and of course Gold! It also has the Threshold setting that the AT Pro does not have. It is helpful for pulling out the weaker signals plus to has true all metal mode.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yours will be loved if purchased after a budget required savings plan. All ways a legal,ethical and moral way to earn it. Two dollars a day a year ,taa,da!You get hooked up. No one has approached me about yard work!
Anyway,once you save your money call our sponsors, Bart my favorite but by all means compare and spend wisely. As for buying used, be careful of a horse someone else wants to sell when they like good horses. A good used popular unit it great shape going to sell close to new unless your lucky.

OP
OP
amzster08

amzster08

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Greybear - yes I was definitely debating the Gold or Pro. Have messed around on a friends Pro a bit and was most interested in getting something to take to the beach but will mostly be using it on grass and dirt. Is the Gold good for shallow water as well? I would detect only knee depth water or shallower. Very interested in the gold sensitivity and also having the all metal mode is a big plus. I had it on my GTI

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold is also waterproof to 10 feet and can be used on the dry part of the beach but not in salt water. Because of its sensitivity it will react to the salt water. Garrett mentions this in their manual and on the online videos posted on heir web site. If you are going to do surf hunting in Salt water then the ATPro would be the machine to go with.. A tip- the standard modes are for very new users. Since you have experience with detectors use the Pro modes. The proportional audio is far more helpful in IDing a target.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amzster - I would suggest you hold off as long as possible and save your money. Buy the machine you WANT and take the time to learn what it is telling you. So many people get into a rush, and buy a cheaper detector - Then they are stuck for years with a subpar unit. In detecting - you get what you pay for, that's for sure. Going on 30 years experience, i've seen it all!!!

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ring Finder makes a good point. Do your research with the type of hunting you primarily do. I bought the AT Gold because it is so Versatile and I live in Colorado so my chances of using it in Salt water is very slim. I also do gold prospecting so that was another need although I also have the Whites GMT. I will be doing some air tests between the 2 next week. I am considering the ATX as well but want to get more feedback from use in the field before taking the jump on a very expensive machine.
Bottom line set your budget, compare machines and talk to people ( or watch videos on YouTube ) that use the detectors you are looking at.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread