Garrett vs. Eurotek for beginner detector

tiderider

Oct 10, 2013
Congrats , I have the ETP and it's a great machine good depth , iron separation with vdi#s to boot not to mention a big screen, I use the 5x10 ellipitcal coil and it's a killer on coins

OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a nice little surprise - my detector arrived Friday! I couldn't get it until Saturday and I had to be gone all day yesterday too, but I couldn't wait to get this thing outside. I didn't know it took stereo headphones until I got it put together, but thankfully I was able to get an adapter for my current set rather than sinking a bunch of money on new headgear. But once I got that taken care of, I went outside to poke around in the backyard.

Overall, I like it so far - easy to carry and use, easy to assemble. But I need to figure out the settings because I was getting all kinds of weird readings. I currently have the discrimination set to 40 to rule out all the nails and hunks of scrap metal I know are out there. No matter what I do with the sensitivity levels, it seems like I always have it too high or too low - I'll either get readings that are just all over the place or it won't pick up anything at all unless I point it at something huge on the surface like a ladder.

I dug a couple spots that beeped (gave me a reading of 60-62) - one was just a piece of scrap metal and one was a bullet. It does this thing where it'll tell me the target is iron, but still give me a reading that bounces between 50 and 99 and beeps, so I don't know which to believe. I might have to bump the disc. up higher. I don't expect to find a chest of gold in my backyard by any means, but it can get old when the detector gives me a reading of 74 and I find a piece of foil the size of a pencil eraser when I dig.

Also, I really have to work on digging plugs. :)

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going strictly for coins & don't want to be bothered with ferrous iron chatter, you can set your vol @ 10, sens @ 10, des @ 79. With these settings the only trash signal I get is for some old pop bottle caps @ 80-82, I don't mind this, for me they're few & far between & I've found gold items at those numbers before.

Look in your owners manual (pg. 21) and it will show you how to save these settings (or any other settings) so they will be on your machine when you turn it back on. Keep re-reading your owners manual, you'll learn more about your detector each time you do. Good luck!

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a ETP last week, and took it for a (literally) test drive this weekend. I drove from Las Vegas to Reno and back and hit a bunch of different places that were mostly trashy or picked clean. Much better than a 250. Even gives the Explorer a run for the money in high trash areas. I found 4 wheats and plenty of other coins and objects. After about 8 hours total at 7 diferent sites, I am impressed with what it can do for the price. I have the 11"DD coil, and set disc at 15, sens as high as it will go without chattering, and VOL at 11. I like to hear the little iron "buzz" while I seek the higher tones for a good target. Only drawback I found was they love bottle caps!

tiderider

Oct 10, 2013
I just got a ETP last week, and took it for a (literally) test drive this weekend. I drove from Las Vegas to Reno and back and hit a bunch of different places that were mostly trashy or picked clean. Much better than a 250. Even gives the Explorer a run for the money in high trash areas. I found 4 wheats and plenty of other coins and objects. After about 8 hours total at 7 diferent sites, I am impressed with what it can do for the price. I have the 11"DD coil, and set disc at 15, sens as high as it will go without chattering, and VOL at 11. I like to hear the little iron "buzz" while I seek the higher tones for a good target. Only drawback I found was they love bottle caps!
determining bottles or coins , just raise the coil up a bit and the numbers will drop if it's a BC, coins stays constant , hope it helps, GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread