trying to find a good reliable detector. any suggestion?

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first post!!...been mding for a few years now...I found the Whites M6 To be easy to use, light and you'll find almost anything your looking for!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep in mind too...if you upgrade from m6 up the coils are interchangeable.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem where about do u detect?? I'm from PA and the m6 works well with our soil. I guess that would be a big thing to. Took me a while to figure out what I was going to use as well.

yankeetom57

Mar 7, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 600, Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drice Im from Texas panhandle, purchased a new Fisher F5 last year. I am very impressed with it, found my first gold ring with it and many silver rings, plus gobs of coins.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iv been looking at the whites mxt, compared to the bounty hunters and minlabs, which would be the best decision?

For land hunting, the MXT is a more than adequate machine that you can use for years without feeling the need for something else. I've used Bounty Hunters, and for a basic machine, they're good, but you will soon want to upgrade. Minelabs are great machines, but if you're relatively new to MD'ing the "Minelab flute symphony" will drive you nuts. A much higher learning curve to speak it's language than the MXT.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ever detector you decide on you will have to spend a few sets of battery's figuring out what it is telling you. Having seen a few whites mxt out there I know they can hunt. You could start off with a less expensive bounty hunter to see if the hobby is for you. The whites mxt has a learning curve, and built very well. I too did not know what I wanted years ago and started with a bounty hunter. I soon wanted more. I researched using kellyco's compare detectors options. I did not know squat about frequencies or coil design. I knew the more you pay, generally the better detector you get. I also read a lot of tnet post, I looked at what detector was being used. I learned a lesson about buying used detectors, I always buy new now. In a perfect world you would buy a detector for every type of hunt you will want to do. From meteorites, to gold nugget, to coin and jewelry hunting in the park or beach. You will hear a lot about depth too. My feelings on the deeper you find something, the deeper you have to dig. After about a 1000 holes depth is not a good thing. Get something with good iron discrimination. You may or may not want a VDI screen, those screens look pretty but hunting by vdi alone will keep your trash to find ratio very high. Warranty and customer service is also important, see if you have a dealer of manufacturer close by. Also Im a old guy I like a light weight machine. If you have $2500 bucks I would suggest the XP Dues, the ATX, any minelab in that range to name a few. Those should be your standards you compare the rest too. I use a F75 standard model, I have invested in a few coils to get more out of the detector. I hunt with guys who use the T2 and will say both machines are very capable in most hunts. My son is just getting into the hobby and I am considering a AT Pro. But if I had my druthers, I would get him a T2 LE. Im sure others will pitch in on what they use. If you want some reading material, find and download the manual for the F75, it will cover all areas of metal detecting and give you a basic knowledge of what the machines are doing. I also can recommend the vendors here on Tnet are the best, they would be happy to answer any questions you have. Good Luck.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree as well the fishers are great machines the f75ltd is what I'm using now great machine good amount of options to get the items your looking for, the deus xp absolutly stands,out to me as the best machine made

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread