Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2013
Greenfield, MA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

I have been using my father-in-laws whites spectrum xlt. I feel really comfortable using it but he wants to start using it again so i need to buy my
own machine. I have been looking at the Fisher f3, garrett AT pro, and the garrett ace 350.

What machine would be easier to learn and allow me to grow into and should i be looking at a different model.

Thank you for the advice

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm assuming you mean Fisher F2 or F4 as Fisher doesn't make an F3.

I have an F2 and for an entry level machine it's great. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone starting out. Easy to learn, very light, reasonable depth and good ID. You can get a nice package deal with two coils (4" & 8") and a pinpointer for just over $200. Not a whole lot of "growth" with it. It's simple and not a lot to "master". People putting on the 11" DD coil say it changes the detector into a whole new machine. I can't speak from experience on that.
I also like it better than the Ace250 & 350. Seems much more stable and ID's better with the number VDI opposed to just the blocks the Aces use. Aces do seem to get better raw depth with like sized coils but tone and VDI are not as accurate.

AT Pro is going to give the most room to "grow" with and it's a going to be a more powerful machine than the F2/4 and the Ace 250/350. It's still an easy machine to learn and offers a lot of performance for the price. You're going to pay 2-3x as much for an ATP over an F2 or Ace 350. Is it worth it? To me it is.
It's a great machine.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread