Do you actually have to own an AT Pro to become a paid promoter?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This is overrated. Spent a day a the hunt and it would only find trash. Had a friend use it. Said something is off. Then it wouldn't turn off. Proceeded to plant coins, it found 3 of 10. This garrett is going back as fast as the mail will take it. Going to try somethng else, open to suggestions under
Minelab Sovereign..Nokta Fors Core...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an old Tesoro long ago and it got the lead out of my arse on my day off. Now I just crank up the at pro and it drives me to historic sites.

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
I have read this entire thread in one sitting and two cups of coffee. I doubt this thread needs another guys opinion, but I will give it anyway... My first machine was a Whites, and was the next. It took a while for me to try another brand. I have never owned a Garrett, much less even held a ATP or even seen one standing in front of me. From just my own research, it seems like a lot of machine for the price. It does have many features, and it would fall into the old "80/20" rule of buying. That being said, I am not in a position to rate the actual usages of it. Those who have one seem to love it, and that is great. That is what keeps people in this hobby. If you have one, and you find stuff, and it makes you excited enough to post your treasures, then that's what it's all about.
Now, what I have read, there seems to be people who have one (brand new) and it falses a lot and others have said to send it in and get it tweaked and it will be perfect. Really?? If I worked at Garrett and kept seeing that comment, I would have to question the quality control procedures at the factory. A new ATP should not have to be sent back in right away to make it the machine you thought you were getting in the first place.
But for a $600 machine it sure does offer a lot, and might even be considered a "gateway" detector.
Again, my disclaimer, I have never owned a Garrett, just my preferences. I see it like an Alabama/Auburn thing. If you are an Alabama fan, that is the only team that should be allowed to play football, or you are an Auburn fan that also likes Miss State, LSU, and Arkansas.
I am not bashing any machine, nor would I ever. I like what I use currently, or I wouldn't be using it. I will promote it to others. ATP users/owner like their machine and like to promote it. This argument will never die.
I would like to find a dealer who would let me try an ATP for a week or two, I might buy it, maybe not.
Did any of that make sense? Haha

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the AT Pro for 2 years and the only time it falses is when you are running iron discrimination in an iron infested area, but then my Etrac will also false under the same circumstances, as will all my other machines. That is why I like to run my AT Pro wide open without any discrimination. The AT Pro is a lot of bang for the buck in my honest opinion.

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mention my machine when I talk about finds unless somebody were to ask what kind of readings I got, because I don't feel the machine found it I feel I found it and most likely could have with many differant detectors.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This thread speaks more to me about the culture of metal detecting than the brand of detector. Reminds me when I was a kid out cruising the drag on Saturday night. There were the kids who were driving their tricked out muscle cars. There were the guys who only drove Mopar, Chevy, or Ford. There were also the kids who were stuck with mom or dads car cause they couldn't afford one (usually a station wagon). We all trash talked the other guys brand choice. Ford guys tended to hang with other Ford guys, Chevy with Chevy, etc.etc. But there seemed to be an unsaid feeling in the air. That the fun was in driving and the socialization with your peers.
Most of us are much older now, more mature. But the need to be with others who enjoy and need to share the experience of (insert hobby here) is timeless.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread