Why would a reputable equipment vendor offer counterfeit treasure coins as incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL, for some this can be a difficult concept, I understand....
Well it doesn't do much for credibility does it,? Do you proudly carry your fake Cobb around with you and yammer about how you found it while metal detecting lake superior?
I don't buy from Kco. Sorry you did!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Looks like I hit a nerve, don't tell me, you pierced your treasure coin counterfeit and now you wear it proudly around your neck right ?
LOL, Im pretty sure I can get him to give us his social if you give me a few more minutes....LOL...

Not at all! You start a thread asking for opinions! Then when people give their opinions you start insulting people? I just think it's childish to ask someone for their thoughts, then start insulting people! That's all! That's what makes me think that someone is playing on their parents computer! Am I wrong?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not at all! You start a thread asking for opinions! Then when people give their opinions you start insulting people? I just think it's childish to ask someone for their thoughts, then start insulting people! That's all! That's what makes me think that someone is playing on their parents computer! Am I wrong?
Yep topic has turned. This will result in a mod warning followed by a weeks ban because it won't be let go. Watch!
:happy1:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep topic has turned. This will result in a mod warning followed by a weeks ban because it won't be let go. Watch!
:happy1:

No! It's all in fun!! Just like the replica coin! :occasion14:

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
It's easy to understand why some people would value access to counterfeit treasure Coins. The real ones are certainly not easy to come by.
It's interesting to note the lengths that are taken in the specific actual targeting of this obviously very large and profitable market demographic.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no brand or vendor loyalty. Heck, I still use a machine that is from the 90's. I wouldn't look at a vendor or brand based on the free gift or promotional gift. Yes, In cases of advertising, there is a lot of money spent to target certain people! I would take it that the replica is just showing what is possible to find with the machine, and maybe people would get their hopes up thinking they were going to find similar real coins. That's what advertising does! In all areas and products! Doesn't make one company or vender worse than another. They all do it in some way!

If you look at it as advertising, It might be giving you false hopes! Like I said, every product does that. If we were to analyze Mercedes advertizing, we could find the same type of thing, or any product. Some products want people to feel like they are special because they own them or spent the money they did on them. Other promotions are just fun things, like ball caps or pens. It's all advertising and directs a thought to the person they target.So, for the Metal detector you would want to push the thought of treasure. For Mercedes, you would want to push an Idea of status. Same with any product.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't buy from Kco. Sorry you did!

I never mentioned using any specific vendor. What made you come to that conclusion?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Looks like I hit a nerve, don't tell me, you pierced your treasure coin counterfeit and now you wear it proudly around your neck right ?
LOL, Im pretty sure I can get him to give us his social if you give me a few more minutes....LOL...

No, It looks like you just purposely annoy the shiii out of people for your own amusement. Throw the Cobb away and shut the hell up

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No, It looks like you just purposely annoy the shiii out of people for your own amusement. Throw the Cobb away and shut the hell up

It's just a simple observation, LOL, when you put it that way it is amusing.....
Edit: geez, LOL, I don't have any fake cobs, and I wouldn't want one even if it was offered as incentive to buy a $2500 hunting machine either

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a simple observation, LOL, when you put it that way it is amusing.....
Edit: geez, LOL, I don't have any fake cobs, and I wouldn't want one even if it was offered as incentive to buy a $2500 hunting machine either

Not to jump ship...But I was more annoyed by the plastic digger and useless KellyCo bags....I actually threw the Cobb away

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is no different than buying a box of Cracker Jacks because it advertises a toy inside. They say it is a replica and only has value to the receiver.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is no different than buying a box of Cracker Jacks because it advertises a toy inside. They say it is a replica and only has value to the receiver.

This is what I was getting at with the fake Rolex Idea when you buy a car. The Rolex to some guys is the bottom end of the luxury watches. So, they may look at it as just a toy that comes with the car. So, to those type guys, whether it was fake or not, it wouldn't matter they may just give to their kids to play with. I'm sure they mark up the cost of the car to pay for the watches in those type promotions. If they marked up the price of the detector maybe they could give out silver eagles or something! lol

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Well, there is no doubt that it very strange incentive to offer with what is being marketed as a serious treasure hunting machine.

The act of offering a counterfeit treasure Cobb ( by the way, complete with certification that it is an authentic counterfeit ) should cast a pallor over the entire process.

To the average person having no interest in treasure hunting, it is completely out of context in the legitimate sales process.

Yet it is a very effective and cunning sales tool

They are not presenting it as a toy, it's an "authentic replica"
Something good enough to prove to your friend what an amazing treasure hunter you are.
Something good enough to show your significant other in case he/she actually finds out how much you paid for that cheap assemblage of outdated technology and cheap plastic.

Some would be tempted (for reasons still completely unknown to me) to post one on tnet as the casual "Find of a lifetime" . (I''m sure stranger things have happened)

I never mentioned the K word once, it was brought up in response to my original post.

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
padron,

After reading through this thread, I did a little research (which you probably should have done yourself). As you know, people collect every kind of thing there is. Everything from expensive to crappy beanie baby dolls. It seems that collecting copies of rare and expensive coins is pretty extensive for many reasons:

1. Displays don't like using real coins that are extremely rare and expensive due to robberies

2. Some people can't afford $2k - $3k for an 8 Escudo Plate Fleet Cob to add to their collections. Same reason that AC Cobra Kit Cars are still popular. Most people can't shell out $1,000,000 for an original, but a $50K copy that they can drive all the time is okay.

So, maybe you aren't into collecting copies. Fine, get the goodie bag, put your fake Cobb on ebay and get on with your life. This thread is wasting valuable keystrokes! Just think of those poor NSA Techs that have to sit and read through all this crap!

Mike

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look into the history of metal detecting. The vendor mentioned earlier especially! Part of their founders success was the finding of Spanish cobbs in Florida. So, If this is the vendor your referring to that would make a lot more sense to me why it would be a promotional piece. Maybe It Is a copy of the original founder or machine designers find. Just another way to look at it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The act of offering a counterfeit treasure Cobb ( by the way, complete with certification that it is an authentic counterfeit ) should cast a pallor over the entire process.

They are not presenting it as a toy, it's an "authentic replica"

Some would be tempted (for reasons still completely unknown to me) to post one on tnet as the casual "Find of a lifetime" . (I''m sure stranger things have happened)

First anyone who posts a fake find as authentic is BANNED for good, we take it serious and we do investigate questionable finds reported. Even if fake find is a test, if it is presented as real it is treated as fraud...

As you stated it is a "replica" presented as replica so there is no doubt it isn't real and it is very obvious to the majority of us why they give it away and we find nothing wrong with it.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
E

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn!! Don't you guy's have some MDing to do or something?
We've got a raging typhoon going down here, ( yeah, I know, those are reserved for south of the equator) and I don't normally bring detectors with me on trips that I plan to be working a lot, (or at least making sure some work is getting done.)

Last edited:

omahaorange

Greenie
Mar 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait! You mean the coin is fake? It's the only reason I bought my detector from them. Where's that Gene guy? I want my money back! :-)

Seriously, I bought several items from them, and browse their web site regularly. I have seen the coin listed in some of their package deals, but never saw an ad touting the coin as the incentive to buy anything. Their detectors are priced exactly the same as they are on every body else's web sites. Then they throw in a bunch of free stuff. It's enough to get new person started in the hobby. So with the first package I got from them I was able to give my wife enough of a kit (including a pinpointer) to get started right out of the box. I figured I could (and by the way have) upgraded equipment the more involved we got.

I have had all positive experiences with Kellyco (who is the only vendor I'm aware of offering the coin in their packages). Sounds like maybe you didn't have a positive one. But talk about your specific problem instead of posting a petty rant about a very minor minor issue. Every post I've seen on this site talking about a specific problem with Kellyco has received a response from a company representative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread