Sorry to ask this BUT... What detector is the best in the 600 to 750 range and why?

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
AT Pro

Why?
#1 Because it paid for itself in the first two weeks of owning it.
#2 Because it paid for 10 more within the first three months.

I really have nothing bad to say about the machine. I will say that the success of the individual is equally dependent on the "location" as well as commitment.

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
UP you have eleven AT Pro's? You've actually found $6,000 in treasure in 3 months time??

Melt value probably not. Replacement value, probably more. And no.....I don't have eleven AT Pro's. One is all I have needed. You can visit my threads to see most of it. Take care and HH!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Jreverquest,

I enjoy using many detector brands, but “Fella” stated it very well. The AT pro is a very good machine for the money and fairly easy to learn.

Regards,

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
That is your opinion. My opinion is that replacement value indeed counts when it comes to cost comparison for resale and insurance if the item is not scrap. The point of my post was not to boast of my findings but to encourage the person that the detector that I purchased can certainly pay for itself in very little time. If this offends you, please know that was not my intention. Take care.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to get a lot of advice buddy from well meaning folks. The problem with a generalized, but honest, question such as yours is that it's hard to answer without inherent bias. There are so many variables to consider. But what the hey, I'll toss this out anyway, for better or worse. Grab a Garrett AT Pro because it is loaded with features for the price. Another way to look at this machine is that it's two for one. I started out with a Garrett ACE 250, basically a common beginners machine. Later on in the hobby I realized that the Garrett AT Pro more or less did the same thing as the ACE 250, when the ATP was in standard mode, although the AT Pro did them more powerfully. Then as you get experienced you can set the ATP into Pro mode and manipulate its features. In a way this can save a new hobbyist some bucks. Instead of buying a simple to understand basic machine at first, it is already part of the AT Pro. But later when you clue in to subtleties and nuances, the more advanced settings come into play. So it's like a two for one deal with the AT Pro. The Garrett AT Pro is not the best machine out there, nor is it junk. It's exactly what it was intended to be, IMHO, a strong mid range machine packed with nice features giving a user a capable and high value detecting tool.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it doesn't need to be waterproof, try the Minelab X-Terra 505 or 705. Very versatile, frequency can be changed with a coil change to tailor it to your hunting needs. No worries of the control box breaking off the shaft either (not uncommon on the AT Pro). For under $750 you could get a 505 and the excellent 10.5 DD coil.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Minelab 705 Gold. It was terrible! Wouldn't hit on a .5 gram or smaller picker! And to change frequencies, Minelab makes you buy a new coil for every frequency! ($150+ per coil!) I've been detecting for over 35 years, so I know how to use a machine.

Hard to beat a Fisher F70! $650

Video Link: http://youtu.be/5rBCqHO3mgU

Wow! Are you sure? I had never heard that about the 705. With my 505, I can pick up a gold few flakes in a vial that weigh 1 GRAIN or less (with the 6" HF DD coil). And yes, the foil seal has been removed from the cap of the vial.

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I have owned garrett ace 250 350 and now the AT pro. The machine is just part of the puzzle. I love garrett metal detectors

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you prefer to hunt coins in yards and parks get the ATP! If you hunt relics more get the AT gold with all metal! I have both and love both!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro does just fine on most relics also....all of this was found with my ATpro....and alot more not in the pic.

Attachments

• 20150101_013632.jpg
    20150101_013632.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 158

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions