New detectors vs 10-15 year old ones; are they equal or better at half the price?

gfmucci

Jun 19, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
BH in 70's; new to Whites MX5 in July 2014
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are todays new models as good as or better than models from 10 to 15 years ago and at half the price? In other words, for example, are there any models today selling for $500 that are as good or better than models that sold for $1,000 10 to 15 years ago, like the now discontinued but previously top of the line Whites DFX for example?

And related, do electronic components of 10 to 15 year old detectors begin to deteriorate to the extent that they degrade performance and are no longer up to spec? I know that even top end audio and ham components deteriorate and begin to degrade performance after 15 years or so.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Are todays new models as good as or better than models from 10 to 15 years ago and at half the price? In other words, for example, are there any models today selling for $500 that are as good or better than models that sold for $1,000 10 to 15 years ago, like the now discontinued but previously top of the line Whites DFX for example?

And related, do electronic components of 10 to 15 year old detectors begin to deteriorate to the extent that they degrade performance and are no longer up to spec? I know that even top end audio and ham components deteriorate and begin to degrade performance after 15 years or so.

It seems to me that minelab never actually improved on the sovereign GT at all. I might be wrong, but I think the actual searching technology (discrimination, all metal mode etc….) pretty much capped out on that model.

I'm not sure the new models go any deeper, cycle any faster or discriminate any better. I do know that most meters are a selling gimick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions