dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another 'what should I get thread' -- newbie $150-200 range

I'm very open to finding a used one if the quality is still worth it at a used price (already browsing craigslist).

I've been perusing the metal detector forum all day after deciding I want one. I used to do CRH a couple summers ago but now I wanna try something new.

Like the title says I'd be happy spending like 200$ total for the detector and the other lil bits I'll need. I'm a super amateur in this respect but know I should look into tools and gear as well... Honestly I could use some advice on what other gear I'll need. I've seen some videos where the hunter will have an easy to access mini shovel attached to his belt that sat inside of a sifter or something. I've also seen lots of people talking about pinpointers and probes which I've never considered.

As a starter kit I don't suspect I'll need much more than a digging tool, some rudimentary sifter, a pouch to store my finds, a metal detector and headphones. Would def like more suggestions in this respect, willing to go a lil over 200 if it'll really help.

I plan to start slow and get into the swing of things before I invest in more than the absolutely necessary tools.

What detector should I start out with? I'm primarily interested in coins of all types if that matters for a type of detector. I'm already trying to ponder the best local places to scope out :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dossier

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry in advance for double post but maybe I'm asking in the wrong area. Absorbing pages of posts but still can't figure out what's right for me. Sooo many people want MDs on craigslist but there are some selling. Will prob end up using eBay. Unless there's a local near north Montgomery County in PA looking to sell something reliable for a beginner. Getting more and more excited every day and already found Some local areas that I think might be untouched (not public property).

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$200 will get you an entry level detector like the Garrett ace 250 or Fisher F2. I have some used detectors in your price range. Also look at a Lesche digging tool and try to budget for a pinpointer. Give me a call if I can help, we offer free shipping.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several entry level machines in your price range.... The two Wayne mentioned are good but also look at the Teknetics EuroTek Pro and the Tesoro Compadre...

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
dossier

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info FBD, went with the Fisher f2 for now. So fun!

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointers help, but are not mandatory , save yourself grief and money buy a leshe trowel as suggested, other wise you'll be getting different digging tools thereby spending way more in the long run , all good vendors on here! Some great deals to be had on CL too , with 200- you'll likely get a machine that sells for 5-600 welcome to TNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread