Water detectors and their limits.....ATPro vs the PIs....or?

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Water detectors and their limits.....ATPro vs the PI's....or?

Hello :)
After about a 2 year break from detecting I am looking to get back into it. The bug has bit me again. I had an ATPro...once I learned its language I was consistently listening past the junk and pulling coins out of local parks every outing. No complaints although I never really found anything beyond clad and a few 1960's silver and junk jewelry. Getting to the point of my post....I have discovered that I have 4 freshwater lakes within an hours drive with big sandy swimming areas and plenty of shallow water. The lighbulb went off ( gold rings!) and I am now looking to either....buy an ATPro again...or....buy a true beach-underwater detector. I also live within an hour of the ocean, so I dont want to rule out saltwater performance. My question is....if I go the Infinium-Sandshark-Excaliber route....will I be limiting myself to beach-water only? How do those detectors handle plain old grass parks? I'm not always going to want to drive out to a lake or get in the water....not 6 months from now when its cold...I will hit the local parks that are 5 minutes away. The ATPro seems the all-around detector for this...but if anyone has used something else that you can get completely wet....then head over to the grass and get good results also.....I am all ears.

An aside note...I have always wanted to use the X-Terra 705...If it is reasonably safe to use it in knee-deep freshwater I would consider it...but I'd sure hate to completely destroy it with one slip in the water.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could go with an Xterra. The control head is easily removed from the handle on the shaft, and a chest mount wouldn't be hard to make.

This is a pic of the entire control unit off the shaft (with a raincoat).
x-terra-metal-detector-enviro-control-box-cover_zpsaf079693.jpg

OP
OP
M

marco

Sep 22, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Thats an interesting thought....just remove the detector and wear it higher. HMM. I'm also realizing that if I want to bust the bank I could get the CTX 3030...that would certainly handle any location, but really want to stay under $1000...not over $2000. It's tempting...just like a 911 when I see it in a car lot.
Anyone think the Fisher CZ is as good out of water as under? That seems to be another option.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the cost of a CTX 3030, you could buy a Tesoro Sandshark for saltwater, a Tesoro Tiger Shark for freshwater, a Tesoro Vaquero for dirt hunting - AND have change left over. Just saying.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone think the Fisher CZ is as good out of water as under? That seems to be another option.
The CZ is a nice detector, and one that I would have if I hunted salt water. But, it is poorly balanced, heavy, and restricts you to whatever hard wired concentric coil you buy it with, making it a less than desirable land machine.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excals , my top choice for salt beaches, wouldn't want to land hunt with it! For the money id say Xterra all the way! Anyone advising against a CTX , probably hasn't used one

gulfcoaster

May 11, 2014
Pensacola, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, White's Bullseye TRX, Stealth Classic 8" Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a CZ-21, and it works great on land and in the ocean. It's sorta heavy, but not too bad. I swung it shaft-mounted last night for a couple of hours with no problem, but I can feel it a bit in my forearm today. It's designed so that you can use it hip-mounted or chest-mounted, which helps a lot (and it comes with the hip-mount clip). You can get a new one in your price range too, if you call a sponsor and work it out with them.

My AT Pro is great on land and in fresh water...it kills in my local river. It also works great on the dry sand. It works okay in the wet sand and in the salt water, if I turn the ground balance way down and lower the sensitivity. I think its performance really depends on the mineralization of your local beaches. It's a super-fun machine, in my opinion.

petey1231

Jan 1, 2013
Yes in the us it works ok on salt in England the salinity levels must be diff because it doesn't work on our wet sand no pos or neg gb
Or sensitivity adjust or freq shift make any different it does t work here that's why I got a credit card and bought a ctx3030

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could go with an Xterra. The control head is easily removed from the handle on the shaft, and a chest mount wouldn't be hard to make.

This is a pic of the entire control unit off the shaft (with a raincoat).
x-terra-metal-detector-enviro-control-box-cover_zpsaf079693.jpg

Coiltek also makes a cable extension that would work really well for this purpose.... :)

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
For the cost of a CTX 3030, you could buy a Tesoro Sandshark for saltwater, a Tesoro Tiger Shark for freshwater, a Tesoro Vaquero for dirt hunting - AND have change left over. Just saying.
Also its very possible the fake chinese CTX 3030's work better and they run as low as $600.00, They also come with a printed manual, because not everyone has access to a CD rom in the middle of Laguna Cove.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions