Bounty Hunter Platinum or should I upgrade? Any hunting advice?

Aug 9, 2014
Noble County, OH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to this site. Have been detecting for 4.5 years (on and off as I have time) ever since I got a BH Commando for Christmas (yes I was outside in 25 degree weather the day I got it and was hooked immediately!). I am now settled in to a house with my new wife, have a full-time job, and would like to get into metal detecting seriously. I live in Noble County, Ohio, so I realize I probably won't find 1795 coins as people may in Virginia and those early settled places. I would like to find some 1800's or even some early 1900's coins. My oldest coin to date is a 1950 wheat penny and aside from one silver ring, no silver or gold coins. Last fall I traded my Commando and some cash for a BH Platinum with the DD searchcoil (stock coil came as well). I have been searching late 1800's homes (my mom's and brother-in-laws as I still haven't worked up the courage to ask permission to hunt-would LOVE a metal detecting friend!), but nothing older than late 1950's pennies. I read the manual all the way through a few times and even watched a couple videos. I know I am ground balancing and doing it correctly, so that is not the issue. I don't have headphones, but do turn the volume up and keep an eye on the screen. I have a good feel for how my detector performs as I have put quite a few hours on it. I go over the same piece of ground many times, so I know I am really covering it. Am I maybe hunting in the wrong spots? I don't ever see anyone else detecting around here, so I don't think it's been hunted. I have found lots of clad coins from the 70's, but nothing special. Any suggestions on a new detector with a focus on coin hunting assuming cost isn't an issue (To a point...I can't afford a $2000 detector)?? I was thinking the Garrett AT PRO-I see many people use this, but I also was eyeing the Teknetics Omega 8000 and some others. Help!
Thank you in advance! :)

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should get better depth with the AT Pro. The Tek Omega is also a good detector, but I like the AT Pro better for relics, coins and jewelry. There was a Spring special for the AT Pro that came with two coils at a great price.

I have a few of the special packages left. Call me if I can help you with any questions.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Eagle101

Jul 22, 2012
New England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold,
Garrett AT Pro. Makro racer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with a BH then bought the ace 250. About 2 years ago I got the At Pro. I don't know about the other detectors. But I love my at pro. The first weekend I found 3 gold rings(75% luck 25% skill). I can afford a better machine but have no desire.

So I'm a little biased but I haven't used any other detector.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATpro and 5x8 coil....
There are some good deals on them as a package right now. Mine will always have a home. You won't regret it! I have found my oldest coin 1794....my favorite find 1853 medallion....most silver coins and a pile of civil war relics including 2 plates with mine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread