we live on an old townsite - lots of junk metal - which detector??

Sep 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So our acreage is on an old coal mine townsite - long gone - but every time we do any sort of digging or landscaping, loads of broken glass and rusty twisted metal come up with the dirt. I want to get my treasure hunter husband a metal detector for his birthday, we could spend ages just doing our own land! However based on the fact that there is *so* much junk metal around here, what is a good choice in detector to sort through the junk? My budget is about $500 ish. I was looking at the AT Pro (pushing the budget there, though) or possibly a Tesoro, but not sure which one. Im reading the forums furiously trying to get a feel for which detector will work best around here but if anyone has any advice it is more than welcome!! :hello2:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No detector is immune to junk ! I would lean towards a Tesoro but you might look into a Minelab Xterra also.

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio
ATP does great in the iron infested areas

Sent from my SCH-S738C using TreasureNet in the middle of a field somewhere

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seperating the iron from the good stuff has always been the chalenge for any detector.... some are better than others at it. Whatever you do, if its really loaded with iron - get a small coil for the machine you choose. You will not be able to hit the deepest of targets, but the ability to seperate trash goes way up.

Brand/model wise there are lots to choose from... for best performance be sure to pick one that ground balances due to the coal and minerals found in old coal mining towns.

Bombguy

Oct 22, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soveriegn GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So our acreage is on an old coal mine townsite - long gone - but every time we do any sort of digging or landscaping, loads of broken glass and rusty twisted metal come up with the dirt. I want to get my treasure hunter husband a metal detector for his birthday, we could spend ages just doing our own land! However based on the fact that there is *so* much junk metal around here, what is a good choice in detector to sort through the junk? My budget is about $500 ish. I was looking at the AT Pro (pushing the budget there, though) or possibly a Tesoro, but not sure which one. Im reading the forums furiously trying to get a feel for which detector will work best around here but if anyone has any advice it is more than welcome!! :hello2:
Don't rule out the Sovereign GT...This little machine has excellent ability to get past the iron to see the good stuff.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
And wear good gloves when you dig!!! You don't want to cut your hands for sure!

With that kind of junk, you're going to have to be very patient in your searching. I would say that most of the first time detector users run out of patience when all they find is junk, and abandon the hobby.

Don't forget to look at used detectors! And do a search on Craigslist for "metal detector". If you find anything there, ask about it here as most available are very basic entry level.

Good luck!

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
For a 1st detector,and in that Iron...I think the AT Pro would do well.It can handle the abuse and its waterproof so you can try the water out,or hunt in the rain.It does work well in the Iron.Very easy to understand.Great Unit for starters and experienced hunters.There are alot of success stories/Video's with the pro as well,they can help teach you alot.Good Luck with whatever you go with.There are alot of Good People here to help with questions. HH

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't rule out the Sovereign GT...This little machine has excellent ability to get past the iron to see the good stuff.
That is true people ……But one's will say a Sovereign is no good in junk and iron infested area's….. But i have used the Sovereign in some really bad area's and have come out great… I will take my Sovereign in a junk & iron infested area and do great ..

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Also don't forget a small 4"-5" coil to get around in the junk too. Just about any machine will disc out iron. Before you buy, check on available aftermarket (brand or otherwise) coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread