Minelab Excalibur vs. Fisher cz21

atx

Greenie
Dec 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Lonestar, Fisher F2, Fisher F4, Whites Coinmaster GT. WTB XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I want to do some surf hunting with the option of taking the machine scuba diving but it would also be nice if the machine worked well on land as well.

I have narrowed my search down to the Fisher CZ21 or the Minelab Excalibur II. The Excal is more expensive but I have read that it will detect deeper targets, can anyone confirm that?

I would love to hear what any users of these machines have to say about them. Thank you all very much.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've owned 2 10" Excal's and now have the 8" CZ-21. I will tell you the balance of both is terrible out of the water, the CZ stock shaft is better IMO for diving than Excal. The fisher warranty is 5 years and ML is 1 year. I use the CZ hipmounted on wet sand in Autotune mode and it quickly has become my favorite beach detector. A quick flip of disc knob will tell you if it's worth digging. One thing that took getting used to was the CZ is a Non-threshold machine in disc mode, where the Excal has a pitch hold threshold in disc mode. The pitch hold can alert you to a deep target and give you a slight change in tone, even when a target is too deep to give a response. As far as depth I think it's a toss up. I've hit targets with both machines on the lower end of the beach or in water that I could never reach due to sand filling in the hole or waves knocking me inland! All in all I like the CZ's build quality better (like a mini tank) and the simple 3 tone audio better. For diving or water hunting I prefer the 8" coil. Good luck in your choice.

OP
OP
A

atx

Greenie
Dec 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Lonestar, Fisher F2, Fisher F4, Whites Coinmaster GT. WTB XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thank you very much for the response. I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. I have a White's Choirmaster GT that works fine on land and is actually pretty good in the wet sand because of the beach mode and auto trac. so my main interest is doing to be something to wade out into the water with and eventually take diving. I will have to take a closer look at the Fisher CZ21, I was also looking at a garrett infinium but I really need iron discrimination because of the trashy areas I run into.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread