Metal Detector Purchase Advise

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a Fisher F4 for sale in Ohio for $225. These cost 399 new. It sold within 24 hours. If I was going to upgrade, I'd go for a unit that is in the 399 to 600 range. If you can't wait to upgrade to a more expensive machine I see a nice Eurotec Pro in PA selling for $120 https://altoona.craigslist.org/ele/4794708895.html and a Fisher F2 for $125 Metal Detector. Do you have a good pinpointer?

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question would be first what do you want your metal detector to do? Then do you look the ease of use with your 150? If you find the Garrett easy and fun, maybe stay with that company. A lot of local pawn shops have metal detectors in the back of the store! Many are just waiting for someone to come claim it! I found a Tesoro Compadre, the pawn shop was asking $150.00 and I got it for $50.00 it was a good machine sold it on ebay for $150 awhile back. If the Pawn shop has to go in the back or you have to dig for it like a lost $20.00 St. Gaudins they are ready to hear an offer! The 350 is around for what you want to spend used on ebay from time to time so are many of the higher end bounty hunters used.

OP
OP
D

Digger_Dude

Dec 31, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT, Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the Advise. In response to Loco-Digger, i do have a Garrett Pro-Pointer. Happy New year.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should check out the classifieds on this site..might find something worth while

OP
OP
D

Digger_Dude

Dec 31, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a X-Terra 305 for sale at Kellyco. What have you heard about this detector?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eurotek Pro

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch and Loco-Digger have some good advice for you.... The Eurotek Pro. The used one Loco-Digger pointed out is a great deal- (I've wondered if it belonged to a customer of mine who upgraded to an AT pro)

Also in the same category are the Ace 250/350, the Fisher F2, and the Silver uMax. All good choices in that price range.

OP
OP
D

Digger_Dude

Dec 31, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have decided to increase my budget to around 300 to 350 dollars Max. What are the best metal detectors in that range?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Digger_Dude,

Try local pawn shops; you get to see it and try it out. I recently purchased a like new Minelab Explorer SE for a few hundred dollars from one.

Regards,

OP
OP
D

Digger_Dude

Dec 31, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking of getting a new metal detector.

bennitto340

Feb 20, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D
ETP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the eurotek pro, awesome little machine. My higher end machine spent a lot of time in the truck after I got the ETP. 299 with 11" DD coil and a warranty. Can't beat it

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until you get to the $500-$600 and up range i dont think you arer going to get the big depth increase that i feel you are looking for.......However, at the price you are talking, i would def look at the Eurotek pro also. It looks like a sweet machine for the money!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently read a test of the ETP and F75.....ETP was on 8 sense......F75 on 60 sense. The f75 couldnt find a target that the ETP wouldn't detect! Pretty good for 300 bucks!

bennitto340

Feb 20, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D
ETP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In good ground the ETP will hit 8-9 inches no problem. VDI is a little sketchy that deep but the tones don't lie. First day I ever took the ETP out I found a 1809 half cent somewhere between 8 and 9 inches in a field that gets hammered every spring. After that I've had absolutely no doubt that you just can't get a better detector for the price.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For your pricepoint a Euro Pro as stated. Heard nothing but good things about them.

bennitto340

Feb 20, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D
ETP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only negatives I found in my first season with it are the pinpoint membrane switch (warranty fix) and EMI. I've had a few spots were I get real bad reactions to EMI only in high sens (8-10) that will clear up by lowering the sens, and in one spot it made the ETP unusable in a large portion of my hunting area but by moving 75 or so yards away rectified that problem. So I just use the CZ when EMI is really an issue

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread