Operating Frequency on brands

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone explain what the operating frequency is about? Some brands are low some as high as 19 KHZ. What is the difference ? Higher better? Help please And Happy New Year

Single frequency detector that transmits higher freq are more sensitive to smaller targets, single freq detector that transmits lower freq gets more depth on larger targets,

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the question arises whether your wavelength is 62 miles (3kHz) or 6 miles (30kHz) when you are looking through 12 inches of dirt really makes as much difference as we think.

But smaller Hz is better for smaller targets.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Charlie meant well but his math was bassackwards. Higher frequency is (all other things being equal, which they never are) better on the smaller and lower conductivity stuff.

Wavelength is irrelevant to metal detectors. One real simple reason: the radiation resistance of the transmitter coil is many orders of magnitude below the ohmic resistance. Searchcoils, although often referred to as antennas, are near-field air core transformers responsive to the magnetic field and (hopefully!) not to the electric field.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would listen to woof! He knows his stuff. Gold (VLF) detectors are higher frequency, usually 15 khz or more for the reasons woof mentioned. Better response to smaller & lower conductivity targets such as gold & lead. Check out the free .pdf book, "Gold prospecting with a VLF metal detector" by Dave Johnson (woof knows him well, lol). Its a great, informational read, even if you are not planning on prospecting.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Woof,

Thank you for the information.

Doc

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie meant well but his math was bassackwards. Higher frequency is (all other things being equal, which they never are) better on the smaller and lower conductivity stuff.

I think I wrote my got all up screwed. :BangHead: Happily I'm not an engineer or the nurse dispensing your medication.

I was looking through some old W&E Treasure magazines and there was a Garretts ad discussing the merits of a single frequency over a multi-frequency detector. A few years later other brands were claiming just the opposite.

Does a detector do better sending and receiving a single frequency or is a broadcast more effective? Or does it make no real difference at all as they're just detecting the effects of conductive items within the coil's field?

I know ain't nuttin ever easy but it would seem the larger & higher conductive items are "low hanging fruit" and a detector will react to them regardless so a higher frequency would be desirable for the smaller items. There must be a trade-off (or ten) in penetration or signal corruption of the higher frequencies or some such?

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I wrote my got all up screwed. :BangHead: Happily I'm not an engineer or the nurse dispensing your medication.

I was looking through some old W&E Treasure magazines and there was a Garretts ad discussing the merits of a single frequency over a multi-frequency detector. A few years later other brands were claiming just the opposite.

Does a detector do better sending and receiving a single frequency or is a broadcast more effective? Or does it make no real difference at all as they're just detecting the effects of conductive items within the coil's field?

I know ain't nuttin ever easy but it would seem the larger & higher conductive items are "low hanging fruit" and a detector will react to them regardless so a higher frequency would be desirable for the smaller items. There must be a trade-off (or ten) in penetration or signal corruption of the higher frequencies or some such?

Ok not an expert, but the higher frequency coils are putting more khz per sweep, lets say 50 khz as opposed to an F5 at 7 khz (or so) hence the ability to find smaller objects. Since gold is a lower conductor, it responds better to a high frequency, that is 'seeing' that conductivity better. Silver being a high conductor, doesnt needed as many "waves" (think 5 or less khz) per sweep; as it conducts so well, it is easier to 'see' with a low khz. This may not be exactly explained properly, but I think it's close, lol.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From Dave J's interview with DetectorStuff

DS: Seems specialized detectorists feel frequency/khz is so important now, claiming a 7khz Coin$trike for example is for coins not relics. Is 13khz great for all-around hunting, & why don’t we see say 25khz units for relic hunters?
"In general, higher frequencies are better for smaller and lower conductivity stuff, and lower frequencies are better for larger and higher conductivity stuff. Relic hunters are generally looking for stuff that is smaller or lower conductivity than US clad, copper, and silver coinage. However, frequency is not critical, and a 7 kHz machine can be good on relics and a 13 kHz machine can be good on coins.
Metal detector manufacturers generally avoid the 20-30kHz range because of electrical interference from military communications."

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This thread contains so much great information, the link to the gold prospecting pdf is of great value to me. It is wonderful that those with so much knowledge are here on treasurenet. Thanks.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread contains so much great information, the link to the gold prospecting pdf is of great value to me. It is wonderful that those with so much knowledge are here on treasurenet. Thanks.

Yes the .pdf is awesome. I printed it out and have read it a few times. I almost feel guilty it was free!

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok not an expert, but the higher frequency coils are putting more khz per sweep, lets say 50 khz as opposed to an F5 at 7 khz (or so) hence the ability to find smaller objects. Since gold is a lower conductor, it responds better to a high frequency, that is 'seeing' that conductivity better. Silver being a high conductor, doesnt needed as many "waves" (think 5 or less khz) per sweep; as it conducts so well, it is easier to 'see' with a low khz. This may not be exactly explained properly, but I think it's close, lol.

Sorry ,but I have too say Gold is a high conductor , but usually found in a smaller quanity .

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry ,but I have too say Gold is a high conductor , but usually found in a smaller quanity .

You need to do some research gold is not a high conductor. It's used in electronics because it never corrodes. Not because it's a high conductor.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it is common knowledge that gold (like lead) is a low conductor & higher frequency machines are better suited for the task of gold nugget hunting. A simple google search will prove it.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, it is common knowledge that gold (like lead) is a low conductor & higher frequency machines are better suited for the task of gold nugget hunting. A simple google search will prove it.

Sorry , I was thinking tone wise , not so much conductor wise .

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry , I was thinking tone wise , not so much conductor wise .

Gold is not a high tone either, it mostly lives in the mid/low tone area and is good friends with the pull tab [emoji4]

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that all depends on the machine you are running and having the ability to set your tones up .

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that all depends on the machine you are running and having the ability to set your tones up .

Well yeah if you look at it that way. I guess every target could ring in the opposite of everyone else's. But it makes it hard to join in on a conversation when someone asks what it rings up as.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread