Technetics T2 vs Garrett AT Pro

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in the market for a detector and have been torn between the garrett At pro and the technetics T2 se. Does anyone have experience with the Garrett At pro or the T2 or both? I have heard the At pro feels cheap. I am leaning towards the T2 for that reason and because I have heard it detects deeper coins. Is this true? And how deep have you found coins with the t2?

Also, I have seen the T2 used for much less and am wondering if there is any difference between the T2 from 2yrs ago and the T2 sold new today. Is the software upgradable? Thanks in advance.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its kinda like comparing a 500 HP motor yacht to a row boat with two oars. T2 is a deep seeking, fine breed machine specifically designed with ergos in mind. Atpro feels cheap because it is cheap. But I will always love my lil 'pro.

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah after I posted I read another thread that had similar subject matter (pro vs T2) and if I am not mistaken..... those are fighting words. Buahahahahaha

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
cladder if you are a total newb, get the pro, its a great simple effective machine, more than enough for a beginner. You will have your hands full just learning metal detecting. After a couple seasons, move up to a T2 or other killer machine.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cladder if you are a total newb, get the pro, its a great simple effective machine, more than enough for a beginner. You will have your hands full just learning metal detecting. After a couple seasons, move up to a T2 or other killer machine.

Ya you really want to waste a couple years.... ?
Buy the T2.... there is no comparison...

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya you really want to waste a couple years.... ?
Buy the T2.... there is no comparison...

As long as the op does not mind dropping all that bread on a hobby he has never tried, then by all means, get a T2. My atpro paid for itself after two seasons. Considering atpro as wasting time is asinine. Everyone knows there is no comparison, the fact of the matter is to op is new at the game and needs to consider a lot more than comparing two machines that are not comparable.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as being built cheap...the t2 and f75 feel alot cheaper made than the atpro and atgold. Very flimsy machines....and I have plenty of hours on all of them and ill keep the pro and gold over the rest. I have just had better luck with them. More silver...more relics and way less bottle caps!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people beleive that if it takes longer to "learn" a machine....that is the better machine. I have learned that this is not always true. It all depends in the user and what they like or prefer.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I agree Diggerin. The AT has nailed me lots of silver and gold in 2 seasons. The AT with its iron audio, is like having 2 detectors working through one coil. I can tell a bottle cap every time on the beach. I still dig em but I'm always right. I always hunt with pro mode and no discrim.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as being built cheap...the t2 and f75 feel alot cheaper made than the atpro and atgold. Very flimsy machines....and I have plenty of hours on all of them and ill keep the pro and gold over the rest. I have just had better luck with them. More silver...more relics and way less bottle caps!

I want to follow behind you digger with my F75 SE.... lol

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope u like iron and bottle caps! And try following me up the rivers and creeks...

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT PRO with a 15" attack coil and a Sharpshooter coil for rain .. rivers & creeks.. but for everything else my Fisher eats the AT for lunch in every way... just saying :)

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad cladder...I have the T2 and the ATPRO...Im not a brands guy either....But...I generally grab my atpro when i go on a hunt,but im not saying its better or deeper than the t2,but here is why I grab the atpro.The biggest reason i grab the atpro is for me its the tones..for what ever reason my ears seem to be able hear and seperate the tones better(as a newbie you will know soon enough what i mean by that).What that means for me is im not having to think as much when im hunting.Im sure others ears hear different than mine though. To dissect the hearing thing,I can more quickly determine iron targets, as the tones on a pro will let me right away know if a target is iron (I cant determine that as quickly on my T2) The good target tones seem to jump out quicker to me on the pro than the T2.As far as ergonomics the T2 with a 11 inch coil swings a little better,but i keep the 5 x8 coil on my Pro as that is a great coil and that evens the playing field on ergonomics as I can swing the Pro all day with that coil.I do like the setting controls on the T2,but the pro is more of a turn on and go machine ( again less thinking lol) The obvious thing...water...The at pro isnt concerned with water whether it be rain,a creek,a river or the ocean...the t2 i have to cover if it starts raining. Now the part every one is going to comment on lol. Hey everyone out there in treasurenet land,the following are my findings,SO FAR,they are not my opinions nor are they anyone elses opinions,they are what i have learned thus far.Everyone is going to tell you that one machine goes deeper,or one machine separates better or this and that,and maybe its true, but its just not my experience thus far.Depth,my experience so far is I havent found a difference in depth between the two (Again everyone,maybe there is something wrong with me but thats the truth LMAO) Separation I have found is easier with the Pro (refer back to the hearing thing ) Now!! I will say that I have more experience on the Pro and that may be the difference,but I am trying to get more experience on the T2,but i im only going to tell you what I know or have experienced to date,nothing more and nothing less...PS...just a few hours ago I was detecting and i got a good signal on the AT pro,long story short i pulled a penny out of heavy clay ten inches down,A true ten inches. Now cladder there are going to be some people that will comment that i didnt do that,but then again there is always naysayers on treasurenet..LMAO....Good luck and happy hunting to you mad cladder with whatever you decide on....Barrywk

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad cladder...I have the T2 and the ATPRO...Im not a brands guy either....But...I generally grab my atpro when i go on a hunt,but im not saying its better or deeper than the t2,but here is why I grab the atpro.The biggest reason i grab the atpro is for me its the tones..for what ever reason my ears seem to be able hear and seperate the tones better(as a newbie you will know soon enough what i mean by that).What that means for me is im not having to think as much when im hunting.Im sure others ears hear different than mine though. To dissect the hearing thing,I can more quickly determine iron targets, as the tones on a pro will let me right away know if a target is iron (I cant determine that as quickly on my T2) The good target tones seem to jump out quicker to me on the pro than the T2.As far as ergonomics the T2 with a 11 inch coil swings a little better,but i keep the 5 x8 coil on my Pro as that is a great coil and that evens the playing field on ergonomics as I can swing the Pro all day with that coil.I do like the setting controls on the T2,but the pro is more of a turn on and go machine ( again less thinking lol) The obvious thing...water...The at pro isnt concerned with water whether it be rain,a creek,a river or the ocean...the t2 i have to cover if it starts raining. Now the part every one is going to comment on lol. Hey everyone out there in treasurenet land,the following are my findings,SO FAR,they are not my opinions nor are they anyone elses opinions,they are what i have learned thus far.Everyone is going to tell you that one machine goes deeper,or one machine separates better or this and that,and maybe its true, but its just not my experience thus far.Depth,my experience so far is I havent found a difference in depth between the two (Again everyone,maybe there is something wrong with me but thats the truth LMAO) Separation I have found is easier with the Pro (refer back to the hearing thing ) Now!! I will say that I have more experience on the Pro and that may be the difference,but I am trying to get more experience on the T2,but i im only going to tell you what I know or have experienced to date,nothing more and nothing less...PS...just a few hours ago I was detecting and i got a good signal on the AT pro,long story short i pulled a penny out of heavy clay ten inches down,A true ten inches. Now cladder there are going to be some people that will comment that i didnt do that,but then again there is always naysayers on treasurenet..LMAO....Good luck and happy hunting to you mad cladder with whatever you decide on....Barrywk

I just read this on another thread. Ten inches with a good signal and using the 5 by 8 that's awesome.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello barrywk,

I know what you mean about the AT Pro and Gold tones. Personally, I like them and understand through many hours of field work what information actually is given to the operator. I also have other machines that I enjoy using in the field. Each of my machines has their pros and cons, but all perform the specific task needed.

Regards,

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just read this on another thread. Ten inches with a good signal and using the 5 by 8 that's awesome.

And a buckle at twelve inches. I left a foot long lesche digger in the hole for reference. IMAG0207.jpg .

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So great & funny! lol

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So great & funny! lol
You can't work the AT Pro So spent even more just to prove to your self it wasn't you. Well guess what it is you, and your Trendy and you know it. All those depth issues you had, maybe your just going deaf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread