Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've detected off and on since the late 70s, but just got back into it in the last year or so, and am currently using a borrowed Whites Classic SL. My primary interests are mainly coin shooting (deep silver) and relic hunting. I've done a lot of reading and have somewhat narrowed my options down to the following:

* Teknetics T2
* Whites MXT All-Pro
* Garrett AT Pro

I've also found a lightly used Minelab E-Trac locally for $950, with 4 piece protective case for detector, minelab headphones, rechargeable battery pack, regular battery pack, box and all paper work. Also a Sampson digging shovel, a Kellyco gator tool, minelab treasure pouch, minelab case for detector, plus a whites TRX pin pointer.

I've watched some E-Trac videos and am not sure if I could get used to the "fluty" sounds the E-Trac makes.

Would the first 3 units be up to the performance of the E-Trac? If the E-Trac is indeed a very good deal, I might be willing to go with that, otherwise at this point I'm leaning more to the T2.

Thanks for any guidance.

BTW, hope this doesn't open any flame wars among the board's members!! LOL

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All three machines mentioned are great machines....i have some experience with all three. Each has its own benefits and strengths....The Etrac is possibly the best coin machine made, but lags a little on relics. Do a little research and pick the one you personally like the best!

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I've detected off and on since the late 70s, but just got back into it in the last year or so, and am currently using a borrowed Whites Classic SL. My primary interests are mainly coin shooting (deep silver) and relic hunting.

I've also found a lightly used Minelab E-Trac locally for $950, with 4 piece protective case for detector, minelab headphones, rechargeable battery pack, regular battery pack, box and all paper work. Also a Sampson digging shovel, a Kellyco gator tool, minelab treasure pouch, minelab case for detector, plus a whites TRX pin pointer.

I've watched some E-Trac videos and am not sure if I could get used to the "fluty" sounds the E-Trac makes.

That's a pretty good deal if it comes with all that stuff. If you can afford it, that's the route I would go. The only advantage the AT Pro would have is being waterproof. I don't know much about the other 2 machines. Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
B

Brierfield

Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for your replies!

I'm also considering the Fisher CZ3D and F75SE.

Does anyone have an opinion on either of these Fisher models?

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you planning on getting wet, do you foresee yourself being caught in the rain, are you more a coin shooter or relic? How important is depth to you, are you planning on hunting in heavily mineralized soil , moderate or sweet? Are you planning of hunting sights heavy in iron nails or iron debris? All of the machines mentioned are great machines, it is simply a matter of preference, any of these machines will keep you perfectly happy and perform very well.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At 4 pounds, the Etrac is the heaviest of the list. Keep this in mind if you have a hard time swinging that weight for long periods. It is also slower than the rest in recovery rate.

I would consider the Fisher F70, which is more of what FTP has to compete with the MXTPro and ATPro. Faster recovery and great depth with lots of bells and whistles. The T2 (Limited?) has the FeTone Iron audio and a few other things over the others. But the LTD costs more as well. SouthFLdigger is right. Without more info on what, where you hunt, it's hard to choose. They all have their good and not so good points. The ATPro is in the spotlight right now, but I see a lot of them being sold used with "just a few hours" on them. You don't see many MXTs being resold and even less T2s.

Also, I hate the proprietary idea of headphones (ATPro). But I guess thats because of the waterproofing. But only being able to go to 10' doesn't qualify it as waterproof in my book. But they do have a fan base.

The MXT Pro is better than the rest for Relic hunting. It's heavy as well. It divides the spectrum from -95 to 0 on Iron, 0 to +95 for Gold/Silver. But it is also knob controlled, no Memory so you have to set it up each yime.

The T2 has the nice trigger for PP and GG. It gives the most info on the screen. (Personally, I like the F75 set up better.)

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At 4 pounds, the Etrac is the heaviest of the list. Keep this in mind if you have a hard time swinging that weight for long periods. It is also slower than the rest in recovery rate.

I would consider the Fisher F70, which is more of what FTP has to compete with the MXTPro and ATPro. Faster recovery and great depth with lots of bells and whistles. The T2 (Limited?) has the FeTone Iron audio and a few other things over the others. But the LTD costs more as well. SouthFLdigger is right. Without more info on what, where you hunt, it's hard to choose. They all have their good and not so good points. The ATPro is in the spotlight right now, but I see a lot of them being sold used with "just a few hours" on them. You don't see many MXTs being resold and even less T2s.

Also, I hate the proprietary idea of headphones (ATPro). But I guess thats because of the waterproofing. But only being able to go to 10' doesn't qualify it as waterproof in my book. But they do have a fan base.

The MXT Pro is better than the rest for Relic hunting. It's heavy as well. It divides the spectrum from -95 to 0 on Iron, 0 to +95 for Gold/Silver. But it is also knob controlled, no Memory so you have to set it up each yime.

The T2 has the nice trigger for PP and GG. It gives the most info on the screen. (Personally, I like the F75 set up better.)

Alot of people never go in water over 10 feet deep in their lifetime! So, yes 10 feet does count as waterproof! It beats the heck out of nothing....

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chose the F75 ltd. when choosing between the same machines. But i already owned an ATpro. The F75 is alot lighter than the Whites and also has faster recovery speed. The T2 and F75 are similar but the F75 has a few more bells and whistles. It has a backlight and saves your settings when powered off which the T2 does not. But the F75 ltd is also the highest priced machine on your list. The CZ3d is more of a "specialty" detector and i would not recommend for a relic machine or for your main detector. I had one and found it to be heavy and unbalanced....it also loved deep rusty nails, but gets deep coins also. Personally the CZ3d is the only machine on your list that i would steer clear of.

OP
OP
B

Brierfield

Aug 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-6a
Makro Racer
Minelab E-Trac
Fisher F-75
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now seriously leaning towards the newly released F75. My interests are mainly coins and relic hunting in soil that is not too highly mineralized (I think), and I believe this would be a great machine for these types of hunting. I'm not planning to get into much water, either. Later if I do go into water, I could pick-up an AT Pro. I realize the F75 is more expensive, but I would like to get something that I wouldn't want to upgrade any time soon, and could go after the deeper targets I'm interested in (especially deep silver).

Thanks everyone for all of the great help and suggestions. I will try and report back on my purchase when I make it!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F75 is a fast, deep, lightweight machine....you will love it and wont soon "out grow" it. You also get the sniper coil with it which is great for those trashy sites. It also has 3h mode which makes nickels give a high tone. This brought my count way up on those old buffalos...

Last edited:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the new minelab go find in april, or an ace 250- clear the trash with it - and use the sand shark! Then bring a friend! Two machines - three times the finds- Good luck!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are good choices- the new F75 LTD2 and the E-trac would be my favorites for what you are hunting of the 4 detectors. The E-trac is a great price considering you get the shovel and TRX. Regarding the flutey tones, you can use combined tones and it will be similar to other detectors. The F75 LTD 2 Bundle is a great package for a great machine.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions