Which detector should I choose under 200$ on European soil?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
250 is a great machine. I have other more expensive machines but I still use my Ace 250. It just finds the stuff, simple turn on and go find the goods. Was my first Machine. Just love it too much to get rid of it. tesoro compadre is one great machine too.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really can't go wrong with any of the modern machines. Personally, I'd stay away from the aces. Their single tone audio, combined with slow response speed would drive me crazy in a location with even moderate trash. I can't speak for the F22, but I have it's old sibling, the F2 and can say it's a great value for the money. 4 tone audio, VID, lightweight, and quick thinking. Only thing I don't like about it is that it takes 2 9volts. Naturally I'd assume that the F22 would stack up in every way, plus it's weatherproof and deeper with it's 10* inch (don't quote me on that) coil. I forget what batteries it takes.

However, I'd also take a serious look at the teknetics eurotek pro. It's supposedly designed specifically for European ground and has built itself a good reputation as an entry level unit.

Hope this helps!
C4C

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Eurotek Pro of course! It offers many features the F2 and ace's do not.

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
250 is a great machine. I have other more expensive machines but I still use my Ace 250. It just finds the stuff, simple turn on and go find the goods. Was my first Machine. Just love it too much to get rid of it. tesoro compadre is one great machine too.
Thanks for the info!
You really can't go wrong with any of the modern machines. Personally, I'd stay away from the aces. Their single tone audio, combined with slow response speed would drive me crazy in a location with even moderate trash. I can't speak for the F22, but I have it's old sibling, the F2 and can say it's a great value for the money. 4 tone audio, VID, lightweight, and quick thinking. Only thing I don't like about it is that it takes 2 9volts. Naturally I'd assume that the F22 would stack up in every way, plus it's waterproof and deeper with it's 10* inch (don't quote me on that) coil. I forget what batteries it takes.

However, I'd also take a serious look at the teknetics eurotek pro. It's supposedly designed specifically for European ground and has built itself a good reputation as an entry level unit.

Hope this helps!
C4C

The Eurotek Pro of course! It offers many features the F2 and ace's do not.

Thanks @Fletch88 and @crazy4coins for the suggestion about Eurotek pro. I looked info about it and pretty much everyone says that it is better than F2 and Ace 250. I think if I am about to buy one it will be the Eurotek. If I do I will post how it goes! Thanks!

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good choice. I strongly recommend one of the higher end pinpointers as well. I purchased one after using a cheap first Texas pointer for a while and wish I had done it MUCH sooner.
Best of luck!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I highly recommend getting the 11" biaxial coil (DD configuration) over the concentric coil. The concentric coil is easier to pinpoint with, but overall I would go with the biaxial coil.

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good choice. I strongly recommend one of the higher end pinpointers as well. I purchased one after using a cheap first Texas pointer for a while and wish I had done it MUCH sooner.
Best of luck!
Well my plan is to get the cheapest 20 dollar pinpointer as a start. I really do not have the budget to get a detector + high end pinpointer. Anyhow, was the cheap pinpointed useful for some time? Should I get it for first couple of months? I was also looking into the pinpointers in 50-70 dollar range, but as far as I researched old threads and so on, people say either to get the super cheap pinpointer for a start or get the Garret Pro pointer as soon as possible without using any other pinpointers. Is that true to some extent?

Also I highly recommend getting the 11" biaxial coil (DD configuration) over the concentric coil. The concentric coil is easier to pinpoint with, but overall I would go with the biaxial coil.
I did some research about the coils and I can not find any place to buy coils for the Eurotek Pro. Where do you buy yours? Also, do I need to look specifically a coil that is made for Eurotek Pro or I can use, for example, a Garret DD coil?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of the Teknetics "Greek" series coils will work. The Eurotek Pro can be purchased with either the 8" concentric or 11" biaxial coil. I would get the 11" coil up front when you buy the machine. It is quite a bit cheaper that way.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well my plan is to get the cheapest 20 dollar pinpointer as a start. I really do not have the budget to get a detector + high end pinpointer. Anyhow, was the cheap pinpointed useful for some time? Should I get it for first couple of months? I was also looking into the pinpointers in 50-70 dollar range, but as far as I researched old threads and so on, people say either to get the super cheap pinpointer for a start or get the Garret Pro pointer as soon as possible without using any other pinpointers. Is that true to some extent?

Yes, if it were my money I'd buy a cheap pointer. Anything would be far more efficient than taking the clumps of dirt and swinging it in front of the detector. Who knows, you may never feel it necessary to upgrade to a higher end pinpointer. I know many others in this forum also use inexpensive versions with good results.

I don't want to make you second guess yourself, but don't forget the $215 f2 package. Comes with both the 8" and 4" coils as well as a first Texas pinpointer and usually headphones. You could probably find one used on eBay for $150, swing it to your hearts content and then resell it for close to the purchase price

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of the Teknetics "Greek" series coils will work. The Eurotek Pro can be purchased with either the 8" concentric or 11" biaxial coil. I would get the 11" coil up front when you buy the machine. It is quite a bit cheaper that way.
Yes that would be the best way to do so, but as I am looking to get my first detector I dont think I should spend around 300 dollars on one. I am really liking the idea about metal detecting but I can not guarantee that it will become my hobby. Would be kind of silly to throw 300 dollars on a machine I might not really like in the end at all. Thanks for the info though!
Yes, if it were my money I'd buy a cheap pointer. Anything would be far more efficient than taking the clumps of dirt and swinging it in front of the detector. Who knows, you may never feel it necessary to upgrade to a higher end pinpointer. I know many others in this forum also use inexpensive versions with good results.

I don't want to make you second guess yourself, but don't forget the $215 f2 package. Comes with both the 8" and 4" coils as well as a first Texas pinpointer and usually headphones. You could probably find one used on eBay for $150, swing it to your hearts content and then resell it for close to the purchase price
The package where I live costs 270 dollars. Looks really good but just as I replied to Fletch88 I really dont think I should spend that much on my first detector. And I can not buy that heavy stuff from eBay as it puts enormous shipping charges. While a package that contains only Eurotek Pro without anything else, not even coil protectors, costs around 190 dollars here with 2 year warranty. While with 5 year warranty it goes as high as 220 dollars here and more. Thanks for the info!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First Texas should guarantee your Eurotek for 5 years. Not much goes wrong with the simplistic Teks, Fishers, Bounty Hunters. Plus the ETP holds it value pretty well. Check UKs EBay for used units.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread