New to metal detecting

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Uh..........Every Tesoro I owned (3) had one tone. I rely more on numeric ID. I can't break a tone into 99 different parts.

But learning this hobby is learning to here the solid tone(s) < does that fit better into this equation??? I think those who go right out and get a machine that has a TID visible they get too fixated on numericals rather than the sound of the hobby. My Fors has tones but I listen for that hard solid hit. A lot of old timers that I have read in this business use single or multi-tone units with no readouts and have great if not better success. Just like a blind person who develops a better sense of hearing from that disability to increase another part of the body to overcome.

Just a thought and this hobby like my straight shaving hobby/lifestyle........you are going to get a wide variety of responses and recommendations from all of us. This is just mine of course and can be totally ignored and it won't hurt my feelings one bit. Good luck OP and do your homework and research the units and make an educated decision based on the type of hunting you will be doing.

OP
OP
S

Slong1958

Tenderfoot
Dec 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody bought up and idea about getting a older model that's going to be discontinued or already has been, More machine for less money. That being said what do you guys think of the omega 8000 I can get it for just under 400.00 new. I really appreciate all the advise I've been getting.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Somebody bought up and idea about getting a older model that's going to be discontinued or already has been, More machine for less money. That being said what do you guys think of the omega 8000 I can get it for just under 400.00 new. I really appreciate all the advise I've been getting.

I think it is a great looking detector with very clean interface and not busy. Seems to get good reviews and quite honestly I would think it to be a great detector to start with. It is way more detector than what I started with. Plus it has ground balance I believe and TID readout.

I think it would be a start for you that would yield great results.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
But learning this hobby is learning to here the solid tone(s) < does that fit better into this equation??? I think those who go right out and get a machine that has a TID visible they get too fixated on numericals rather than the sound of the hobby. My Fors has tones but I listen for that hard solid hit. A lot of old timers that I have read in this business use single or multi-tone units with no readouts and have great if not better success. Just like a blind person who develops a better sense of hearing from that disability to increase another part of the body to overcome.

Just a thought and this hobby like my straight shaving hobby/lifestyle........you are going to get a wide variety of responses and recommendations from all of us. This is just mine of course and can be totally ignored and it won't hurt my feelings one bit. Good luck OP and do your homework and research the units and make an educated decision based on the type of hunting you will be doing.

U make a very valid point . However some of my best finds have come with a tone that was far less than perfect , I feel that having tid , dosent mean u rely on it ,rather it's just one extra piece of information to put in with tone size and shape of the target. Imo to make a good dig / no dig decision all information should be considered. experience is what will help the detectorists make better decisions regardless if a person is using a tid unit or a one tone tesoro.

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good starting point would be a rig that runs around 500. I paid 475.00 on ebay for a MXT, but I looked for awhile, I can prospect, coin shot and use it at the beach with my MXT. Just remember that you can also buy coils to lower or raise the search depth of your detector. Best thing is to go to Kellyco and do the comparing, but I suggest you get more leads before buying there. Some may say to get a Pulse machine and then if you are not using it for saltwater, get a VLF machine. The best bet is research, research research!!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A very good detector. Same processor as the Fisher F5, F22, F44, LRP. QDP, and Tek Greeks. Quite successful for FTP mid range detectors. F5 and Omega 8000/8500 are top of the line for that processor. The Omega would be easy to learn and a while before you outgrew it, if ever. And since FTP dropped the price to make way for the 8500, the Omega is a great deal for sub $400, IMO. A great array of coils available also.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I'm new to the site and treasure hunting. I borrowed a white mxt pro to look for my moms long lost ring but didn't have any luck finding it but I think I may be hooked on treasure hunting. I'm looking for some advise on what brand and model detector to get. My cousin said he paid around 800.00 for the white but I'm not wanting to spent that much. I need something that's easy to use and that is also good. I've been looking at the bounty Hunter quick silver and the garrett 250. The bounty hunter is on sale now for 99.00 reg 200.00. All info will be appreciated.

The New Whites Treasure Master or the Fisher F-22
call me I have good prices
dennis

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local Whites dealer has a really good buy on a MXT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread