To deus or not to deus

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was originally thinking of getting a garret gti 2500 but now i think i want the xp deus

mainly want it for coin shooting in western australia and maybe in the future some beach work and gold fields,
but i read some posts about the xp deus not being good for australian conditions does anyone know if this is true
and if you have any other suggestions for a coin shooter in australia then feel free to mention i am looking for more options but these two seem to me to be my best options so far.

budget max probably 2k

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
I have the deus and it is known more as a relic machine. I would suggest the E-trac because it's one of the best coin machines on the planet

don't get me wrong the deus is an awesome detector but it hits iorn hard especially big rusty stuff. you will probably dig more with the deus but that isn't always a bad thing

Last edited:
OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
everything ive read about the deus says it better in trashy areas than everything else but i have been reading up on the e trac and it looks like a race between those 2 now

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it also likes coke [hot rocks] as much as charlie sheean :laughing7:

OP
OP
mercinarie

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a second hand deus for sale but it's nearly 5 years old with not much warranty left for around 900 euro dunno if it will be worth it though

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a second hand deus for sale but it's nearly 5 years old with not much warranty left for around 900 euro dunno if it will be worth it though

Is it a wireless or wired unit . The wireless may be worth it , if it's not then no way . I think I would spring for anew one if it was me .

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts on Deus - I think it is a better coin machine than a relic machine, which is saying something because I think it is a great relic machine. Ha. Regarding hot rocks, yep it finds them, and you can tell by the sound it makes that it is a hot rock so I know to pass them up. If I want to null them out completely then you can easily with Ground Notch. Not qualified to compare the Deus with the Etrac since I don't own an Etrac. But I own a number of mid-range and high-end detectors and I keep going back to the Deus as my go to detector because its performance is top notch, does many things well, is simple to grab and go, low profile, and easy to swing vs. traditional full featured detectors. Regarding the used Deus, the only thing I would be wary about is whether the integrated coil battery would be needing replacement, which would be a significant cost if the unit's warranty has expired. On the other hand, if you are getting the control unit, coil, and wireless phones, and depending on the applied used discount, would jump on it until the coil poops out and then go ahead and buy a replacement coil, perhaps the new high frequency coil that will be coming out later this year since it will work with your control box and headphones seamlessly. (I am less worried about the control box and headphone integrated batteries since those are turned off when not in use, while the coil is always either charging, in standby mode, or in operational mode when actively paired with the control box and/or wireless headset.) Regarding the cost value of the used discount, if you are getting a full up package for say $500 to $600 off the new price, that could translate into effectively getting a free replacement coil down the road, if needed. In that case it might worth the plunge to go used.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both are beyond my price point in detecting. But from my own perspective, the GTI2500 is old hat and the fact that there are very few imaging coils available for it makes it's technology seem like a gimmick that never caught on. Kind of like Quadraphonic 4 track tapes.

The video's I've seen for the XP shows a light machine (compared to the GTI) that has exceptional depth and recovery speed over the older Garretts. Plus the resale value of the XP remains high for a machine that's more in demand. If you plan on cache hunting and deep relic hunting, the GTI may be the way to go especially given it's two box conversion apparatus. But if it's typical coin/jewelry you seek, I believe the XP is going to do a better job of filling that bill.

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very enlightening info from a hands on user! Thanks for the Deus info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions