How Does GPS on Detectors Work?

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just getting started and enjoying it! I am a retired land surveyor and used the Schonstedt GA-52Cx Magnetic Locator to locate property corners! It was a blast & I never forgot that!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your correct. It will show you where you been and you can set markers (waypoint) for a particular spot. It will get you to within 5-10 feet on accuracy typically. The only one I know of is the $2500 CTX 3030.
I think the Go-Find has a similar dumbed down version also.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your correct. It will show you where you been and you can set markers (waypoint) for a particular spot. It will get you to within 5-10 feet on accuracy typically. The only one I know of is the $2500 CTX 3030.
I think the Go-Find has a similar dumbed down version also.

Yep, what Rob said.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just like any GPS.....allows you to set points where you have been and if real secluded a way to get back! I just think some detectors are and with these options become way too busy and take away from the fun of sweeping and digging. To each their own and the variety of life for sure.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just think some detectors are and with these options become way too busy and take away from the fun of sweeping and digging. To each their own and the variety of life for sure.

Does wearing headphones take away from the fun? Does multi tone take away from the fun? Does a VDI take away from the fun? Does driving a car to spots you detect take away from the fun? How can a simple, optional, TOOL take away from the fun?

Personally, the GPS in CTX has greatly increase MY fun and my hunting buddy's fun. It has shown me trends in finds and where I should be focusing on future hunts. Without the GPS, my buddy would probably have never found his 1895-O dime (look it up if you don't know).

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Just getting started and enjoying it! I am a retired land surveyor and used the Schonstedt GA-52Cx Magnetic Locator to locate property corners! It was a blast & I never forgot that!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yikes 2500 Coconuts that's a lot of nuts! Sorry to hear that but as a retired land surveyor with vast experience using GPS for surveys I really want that feature.. I can see myself using a "way point capable" hand held unit strapped to my detector..

Garmin MapSource looks like it may work. Shows a "hiking trail" feature ::: Robot Check

This would be like doing a "Topo" or Topographic Survey only without the "Z" coordinate which would be mute for our purposes.. GPS101waypoint.jpg GPS101route.jpg garmin004.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having not gone on my first dectectorist adventure... hadn't thought of that! You make a very strong point!!

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See I can be with both sides of this particular discussion but I'm pretty sure my "detail oriented" nature... (you know, the one that made me an exceptional land surveyor) leads me to want to see where I've been which helps me know where I'm wanting to go... Bottom line, I love GPS!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am out looking for nuggets in the desert, I use a handheld unit. First location I mark is my ride. So matter how far I walk I can find my way back, along with a fresh set of batteries. And if I ever find a nugget I will mark a way-point there too.:icon_scratch:

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"moot", not "mute".
Wouldn't have bothered, but with a handle like "Lexicon"..... C'mon. :thumbsup:

I never thought much about adding (or having) GPS on my metal detector, but I can envision several situations where it could be helpful.
Some GPS units let you overlay maps (JPGS, scans of paper maps, or downloads from Google Earth).

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"moot", not "mute".
Wouldn't have bothered, but with a handle like "Lexicon"..... C'mon. :thumbsup:

That's funny right there!

I never thought much about adding (or having) GPS on my metal detector, but I can envision several situations where it could be helpful.
Some GPS units let you overlay maps (JPGS, scans of paper maps, or downloads from Google Earth).

The Minelab software for the CTX shows you the GPS points and tracks overlayed on a google-earth pic.

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exactly!!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See I can be with both sides of this particular discussion but I'm pretty sure my "detail oriented" nature... (you know, the one that made me an exceptional land surveyor) leads me to want to see where I've been which helps me know where I'm wanting to go... Bottom line, I love GPS!

Well, I hope you come to the consumer level GPS with expectations of mediocrity! :occasion14: Coming from surveyors-grade GPS, ours are toys. accuracy is measured in feet, although there are work-arounds for daily accuracy deviations.

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oooops... busted! You have my number! Having a high IQ does not include spelling and I suck at it...!
That one indeed I did not know... What a stupid word... MOOT MOOT MOOT... Sounds like an educated cow!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HA! I like your sense of humor. Moot is a very old word, carried over from the early Brittons IIRC.

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Jason, you are correct.. feet is fine with me these days... We need thousandths of a foot to lay out buildings
to something called an "airspace" so they do not occupy the same space which of course would be impossible...

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well there it is then! What could be better than that?

OP
OP
L

Lexicon7

Jan 1, 2016
Bend Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That does it! I'm changing my handle to "SpellCheck!" And that cow is a deaf mute!

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I was just messin' with you...
My business partner is the world's WORST speller. So, I'm totally used to it.

Just the other day, I had to let him know "lemons" only needed one "m".
(He has a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread