Garrett AT Pro or ?

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everybody.

I have looked in at this forum on and off for quite a few years now (great place) and watch some detectorists on youtube and had come to the conclusion that the Garrett AT Pro seems a good all rounder. So now I am in the position to purchase my first detector and had decided on that model.

I want it mainly for beach detecting but had seen recently that this model has problems in wet sand or mineralised wet sand.

Is this true? If so what is a good all rounder that does work well in wet sand with in the same price range?

I know everybody has their favourites but where I am private land is private and metal detector use is legally very restricted even with permission. Public land is basically between high and low tide and even then there are very rigid restrictions.

Thanks

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett AT Pro will work at the beach. In some parts of the country, the black sand can cause it to chatter. You can turn the discrimination down and ground balance when you move from dry sand to wet sand to water. The best choice for the beach is the Minelab Excalibur II, but it isn't a great detector for land hunting if you are used to target IDs. If you are looking for discrimination, target IDS and waterproof under $1000 new, the AT Pro is a good choice.

Give me a call if I can help you in your decision.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your looking for a land detector that you can take into the wet sand buy an Etrac.
You can pick up a used one like new for under $800.

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For beach areas I'd check out the Whites M6 for a competitively priced detector to the AT Pro.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet! Good luck with whatever machine you decide to buy. The Fisher CZ21 is a good detector both in and out of the water, but is priced in the $1500 range. Also, on land you really have to hip mount it due to its weight. This keeps the detector attached to you which can be annoying when digging holes.

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT-Pro

Hi everybody.

I have looked in at this forum on and off for quite a few years now (great place) and watch some detectorists on youtube and had come to the conclusion that the Garrett AT Pro seems a good all rounder. So now I am in the position to purchase my first detector and had decided on that model.

I want it mainly for beach detecting but had seen recently that this model has problems in wet sand or mineralised wet sand.

Is this true? If so what is a good all rounder that does work well in wet sand with in the same price range?

I know everybody has their favourites but where I am private land is private and metal detector use is legally very restricted even with permission. Public land is basically between high and low tide and even then there are very rigid restrictions.

Thanks
I use the AT-Pro all the time one of my favorite machines, great for freshwater, the salt water I have had several customer who have stated that the AT-Pro not the detector for salt water. These are experience detectorist
Bottle line for beach and land , low end Fisher n44 high end the minelab Safari
call me if you have any questions
dennis

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The At pro is a great machine and hard to beat for the money. But if beach hunting is what you will be doing primarily.....it is not the best choice or even close to it. Your best beach machines are the Minelab Excal or Fisher CZ21, but both run around $1500.00.....You need multi freq. for the beach! For your price range(of the AT pro) you can buy a used Minelab Explorer SE or Fisher CZ3d. I have owned both and prefered the Minelab. They are not waterproof but work great in the wet sand. If you dont mind digging plenty of trash to get your treasure, the Tesoro Sand Shark is a great beach machine at a great price. It is fully waterproof but is a pulse induction machine so no discrimination. I would suggest the 8" coil over the 10"......much lighter and well balanced. Although a little more expensive; the Etrac would make your best machine if you could afford it.....just my personal opinion.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also forgot to mention the Minelab Sovereign's.....the are killer on the beach also....

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Never discount a Tesoro Sand Shark if you are a beach hunter and especially in wet sand or surf. If you mainly hunt the dry sand then a multitude of VLF detectors would be great to include the AT. Good luck.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used and loved th ATP for about 3 years. It was great on land and in dry sand. On the saltwater beaches you will need to ground balance each time the sand has a different level of wet. In the wet sand or in the water I found the depth was limited to about 3 or 4 inches, even with the 15" NEL attack coil. OK for fresh drops but targets sink FAST in wet sand. I quit using it after someone pulled a gold ring out of an area that I had just covered. It was about 10" deep and the ATP could not reach it. That was in Myrtle Beach.

I moved to the 3030 and now routinely find targets 15" to 20" deep. I realized that is not in the same price range and other responses have give some good suggestions. You can find used 3030 with warranty left in the 1500 range.

If you buy the ATP for primarily salt water usage you will be disappointed.

OP
OP
B

Brit888

Jan 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all.

While in the UK I visited a shop and they explained what is needed for wet beach detecting, (showed me all the different types) but to get me going (novice) I purchased the AT Pro and may move to the better wet beach machines later.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread