land and sea metal detecter

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If it's going into the water with no worries and freshwater the AT Pro will fit the bill, saltwater I don't think there is one on the market at that price point at this time.
Most knowledgeable hunters that hunt the coasts on land and in the water usually have at least 2.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ATPro and the soon to be released MX-Sport. The latter is over budget but that is as close as you can get into a submersible unit.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going in saltwater the Tesoro Sand Shark is the only choice in your price range but it is a PI machine. If freshwater only....go with the Garrett AT pro!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need Terry S.'s long explanation of what a Pulse Induction vs Very Low Frequency machine is. Also how only multiple frequency VLF's (primarily Minelab and Fisher CZ's) will work in saltwater.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry has a nice Tiger Shark for sale.

OP
OP
Fishtanks

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Minelab Xterra 705
I assumed you could use a ATpro in saltwater. I'm going down to Florida in April. I was going to use my friends at pro in the salt water. But now I am not. I thought it was ok to use in saltwater. NOT. So since I live in Wisconsin, where there isn't any saltwater, I won't be buying a machine to use in salt water. Kind of a waste of money. But I am thinking about buying a AT PRO so I can use in fresh water. Is this machine water proof so you can submerge it in water??

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You "can" use the AT pro in salt water.....but performance will be poor. It will chat and get weak depths. You will have to run sensitivty very low.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fish tanks, the ATPro is the best bang for the buck period. You can use on your trip to Florida. Many great finds are made on saltwater beaches. You just have to gb it down to salt and slightly reduce sensitivity. It is not the optimum saltwater machine but will suffice for an occasional 1-2 trips a year to saltwater.

OP
OP
Fishtanks

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
Can you submerge it in saltwater? I just want to say thank you all so much for you knowledge on my post, I do appreciate this!!!!! Steve

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely you can submerge it up to 10' in salt or freshwater

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishtanks, I've used my AT Pro in the water in FL. It gets noisy, but good tones break through. It's fully waterproof to 10 feet as Terry mentioned. There are o rings on the battery cap, headphone and coil connectors. It's also a great detector to use in the lakes and rivers.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
Fishtanks

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
I bought this Sand Shark from Treasure Hunter.

We were finally able to get some of these coveted underwater detectors in stock. We can only get these when Treasure Hunter has factory extras.​
For the avid beach comber, treasure diver, wader along FL's treasure coast, or deep sea diving detector, the Sand Shark has what you are looking for.​
Unlike most underwater detectors, the Sand Shark Pro works great in salt water as well as freshwater, and with a maximum depth of 132 feet, there is virtually no treasure out of your grasp. With only two knobs, this detector is a miracle of high technology. One knob is for power on, battery test, and discrimination, the other knob is for sensitivity.​
Lightweight, with comfortable foam grip, this detector is a pleasure to use in or out of the water. The detector takes one Alkaline 9-volt battery which provides over 65 hours of operation time. Great for wading or diving, you don't have to worry about your metal detector getting wet. Pinpointing is a breeze with only the slightest movement needed for positive target results.​
With Pulse Induction technology, state of the art patented quartz crystal electronics the Sand Shark Pro operates in the most mineralized conditions. With the included waterproof and specially engineered piezo-elastic headphones, this detector is truly a treasure hunters dream.

I paid 202.00 bucks for this detecter. Supposed to cost up to $1200.00. Was I had or does this sound like a good detector. Well I will see when I get out to Florida.

walker614

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely you can submerge it up to 10' in salt or freshwater
Just be sure to rinse it off with clean fresh water afterwards. Saltwater has a way of messing with electronics, waterproof or not. Better safe than sorry

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were finally able to get some of these coveted underwater detectors in stock. We can only get these when Treasure Hunter has factory extras.​
For the avid beach comber, treasure diver, wader along FL's treasure coast, or deep sea diving detector, the Sand Shark has what you are looking for.​
Unlike most underwater detectors, the Sand Shark Pro works great in salt water as well as freshwater, and with a maximum depth of 132 feet, there is virtually no treasure out of your grasp. With only two knobs, this detector is a miracle of high technology. One knob is for power on, battery test, and discrimination, the other knob is for sensitivity.​
Lightweight, with comfortable foam grip, this detector is a pleasure to use in or out of the water. The detector takes one Alkaline 9-volt battery which provides over 65 hours of operation time. Great for wading or diving, you don't have to worry about your metal detector getting wet. Pinpointing is a breeze with only the slightest movement needed for positive target results.​
With Pulse Induction technology, state of the art patented quartz crystal electronics the Sand Shark Pro operates in the most mineralized conditions. With the included waterproof and specially engineered piezo-elastic headphones, this detector is truly a treasure hunters dream.

I paid 202.00 bucks for this detecter. Supposed to cost up to $1200.00. Was I had or does this sound like a good detector. Well I will see when I get out to Florida.

Sounds like you may have bought one of the Chinese POS machines because first of all their is no such thing as a Sand Shark PRO. A brand spanking new Sand Shark is only $577 retail and they are readily available from a 100 different places any given day.

I would hardly call anything about their technology as groundbreaking, but that little write up makes you think you will be discovering Spanish treasure as soon as you get to the beach. They forget to mention the 5 gallon bucket of crap your going to dig to find that one costume ring or handful of clad!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread