New guy, old question... Which brand for me?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I'm new to metal detecting and looking to buy my first "real" metal detector. I like to buy American-made quality (when possible), and can cough up around $600 for a detector. I probably don't need the fancy frills, but long lasting quality and functionality are of primary importance.
I'll be looking for mostly relics and coins. Been thinking about the Tesoro Vaquero, or maybe the Tejon, though I understand that many consider Tesoro old-fashioned and somewhat low tech. Can you-all recommend another USA built, quality detector in my price range that fits my needs? Is Tesoro what I'm after?

Thanks! ^_^

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure! TESORO. Get a Vaquero. You'll never sell it, and you'll always come back to it. :occasion14:

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the Vaquero preferred to the Tejon? If so, why?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not positive but, i think Garrett is made here in the US. If it is, then you might want to look at the AT Pro. My son has the AT pro and runs circles around me when we go out.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the AT pro good price here http://amzn.to/1prUJCN It's made in the USA!
I am a prime member so it might be different for you, if it is you can do a free trial of prime and then buy it. hope this helps

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen that the AT Pro is often recommended. Is it any more or less durable and trouble-free than other popular brands? Is it as easy to use as a Tesoro, Whites, Fisher, etc.? Why might anyone recommend it over a Tesoro? Just asking...

Another question: Is there a dealer around that can give a great price on the brand and unit I decide on? I'm used to buying on ebay, but can purchase directly from any well known, reliable dealer. Never bought off Amazon before.

Thanks again!

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're almost sure to get a bunch of different suggestions, and most (if not all) of those suggestions will do the job that you're asking about.

My advice (it's worth what you paid for it - nothing) is that you go swing several different machines at your local dealer, or borrow a friend's machine to try out. You might also see if there is a local club where you can get some hand's on experience with machines that fit your criteria. What works for one might not work for another. (The Etrac and CTX weren't my cup of tea, but many people swear by them and they're fine machines - they just aren't the right machines for me)

I believe Whites, Tesoro, Fisher, Teknetics and Garrett are all made in the USA (since that is important to you). They all make fine machines that will find the good stuff once you learn the machine.

My own experience (and bias) is as follows: (keeping in mind your stated criteria)

Whites

MX5 - It fits your criteria on all counts. It has a fast recovery (nice in iron laden sites) and goes deep. It's a chatty machine - some like that and some won't. It does great on coins, loves nickels and does a good job of finding the good stuff that is mixed in with trash. I love the MX5 - others do not. The MX5 is light and easy to swing all day.

M6 - I have not used the machine. It fits your criteria though. My understanding is that it is a fantastic coin machine.

Tesoro

Vaquero – I have not used the machine. I recently bought the Compadre though and absolutely love it so far. I don't have a lot of time on it though. My understanding is that the Vaquero is fast, deep and deadly. I believe it and a Vaquero will be the next machine that I purchase.

Just about all of the Tesoro machines fit your criteria – the Tejon is a bit north of your declared financial limit though. I'd also look at the Outlaw, but cannot offer my thoughts on that machine (haven't used it).

The Compadre is light and easy to swing all day. I believe that is the same with their other models.

Fisher

F5 – I haven't used this model, but believe it fits within your stated criteria. I did have the F4 and found it to be a very capable machine (it would certainly do the job you require).

F70 – I'm not sure if this model falls within your price level, but it should be close. Again, I haven't used this model so I can't really comment on it.

The F4 was a light, easy to swing machine.

Tecknetics

G2 – I don't know about the new version, but I loved the old version (wish I hadn't sold it). It was fast, loved nickels (good on other coins too) and fun. Maybe not quite as deep as some of the others that meet your criteria, but it'll still go deep enough to make you tired at the end of the day. Light and very easy to swing. I loved it.

T2 classic – It fits your criteria. I haven't used one. Lots of people do though and love them.

Omega 8000 – I think it is no longer made. I've never used one. My understanding is that they're great on coins.

Garrett

AT Pro – I'm not sure if it fits into your price point, but it meet all of your other criteria. I've never used one. Lots of people do though and many swear by them.

Warranty -

Whites has a two year warranty that is transferable. Great customer service – I believe theirs is probably the best in the market.

Tesoro – lifetime warranty for original purchaser. Hard to beat that.

Fisher/Teknetics – 5 year warranty. I am not sure if the warranty is transferable. My understanding is that their customer service is very good.

Garrett – I think it is two years. I don't know if it is transferable. My understanding is that their customer service is very good.

Do yourself a favor and budget for a pin-pointer too. It'll save you time and frustration.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen that the AT Pro is often recommended. Is it any more or less durable and trouble-free than other popular brands? Is it as easy to use as a Tesoro, Whites, Fisher, etc.? Why might anyone recommend it over a Tesoro? Just asking...

Another question: Is there a dealer around that can give a great price on the brand and unit I decide on? I'm used to buying on ebay, but can purchase directly from any well known, reliable dealer. Never bought off Amazon before.

Thanks again!

Any of the forum sponsors.

I've had great experiences with the following:

Chuck at Indian Nations Metal Detecting

Richard and Backwoods metal detecting

Bart and Bigboyshobbies

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recommend you use a site that allows you to compare 2 to 3 detectors side-by-side (I use Kellyco) and watch plenty of videos. If your a sound guy, there are many machines by numerous manufacturers. I listen for tone, but like to have a VDI reading. Pay attention to their sounds and look at there weight. If you have a local dealer, you have the opportunity to touch, feel and experience many brands, first hand.

If I was starting today, I would lean towards the Classic T2. It used to be priced over $800. They reduced the price to $499. You could then buy a pin pointer and stay in your budget. I use the F75 LTD SE which was derived from the T2. The T2 comes with my favorite coil, the 9" x 11" DD. The T2 was used for gold prospecting early on. It has an iron scale of 1-40 in stead of the 1-20 like mine. Many Tnet user swing the T2.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the Vaquero preferred to the Tejon? If so, why?

It is in your price range; it it easier to use; and with the new 11" x 8" Widescan coil, it is as deep as the Tejon with a standard coil.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their preferences.....I like and have been successful with Tesoro's and Garrett's. They are both American made and have great customer service! Look at the Vaquero, TEjon and AT pro....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
All hunters are people, all people are different so opinions will vary depending on personal tastes and experience.
Most every detector out there works if the owner learns it, there are different capabilities depending on the model for instance my Compadre is fantastic but my Vaquero goes way deeper.
The first detector you choose is confusing because you don't have a lot of knowledge, most of us upgrade eventually or add more units to the arsenal and the next purchase will be so much easier because by then you will know what kind of hunter you are, what kind of sites you hunt and what will work best for you at that time with more experience.

Be that as it may I can tell you about what I use.
I have a Compadre and a Vaq, tons of hours on them and still have great fun using both and I have been successful because I learned what they are capable of.
Over time I moved over to Fishers, quite by accident with an F2 really, but I found out I had quite an affinity for their units and their language and seemed to understand their behavior at a pretty deep level.
Those learned insights took a little work but it was all fun and effortless.
If you are lucky you will sometimes come across that one brand or detector that you just "get" and really click with.
I have been using an F70 for a little over 2 seasons and I have found it has a jaw dropping ability to be successful in every site and under any conditions I have tried so far.
Using both the tones and the screen info have led me into areas of bucket list finds I never thought possible under conditions that are sometimes so severe that others with all kinds of models and brands won't even try.
This one can easily be found at your price point new, used for way less, and this one coined the phrase "sleeper" according to most owners that learned to understand them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to thank everyone for their opinions and advice. I decided on a Tesoro Tejon (black), and just ordered from Bart at BigBoysHobies.
It came to just a couple $ over my limit, shipped. Now for some studying up on adjusting and using...
Hoping to post pics of local finds in the near future. ^_^

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I want to thank everyone for their opinions and advice. I decided on a Tesoro Tejon (black), and just ordered from Bart at BigBoysHobies.
It came to just a couple $ over my limit, shipped. Now for some studying up on adjusting and using...
Hoping to post pics of local finds in the near future. ^_^

Bart's the man and you got a Tesoro...what's not to love?
Double disc for quick double checking on the fly, Compadre like hyper sensitivity, a true 180 ED range and legendary depth.
Learn the language, the Tejon will do the rest.
Have fun!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're almost sure to get a bunch of different suggestions, and most (if not all) of those suggestions will do the job that you're asking about.

My advice (it's worth what you paid for it - nothing) is that you go swing several different machines at your local dealer, or borrow a friend's machine to try out. You might also see if there is a local club where you can get some hand's on experience with machines that fit your criteria. What works for one might not work for another. (The Etrac and CTX weren't my cup of tea, but many people swear by them and they're fine machines - they just aren't the right machines for me)

I believe Whites, Tesoro, Fisher, Teknetics and Garrett are all made in the USA (since that is important to you). They all make fine machines that will find the good stuff once you learn the machine.

My own experience (and bias) is as follows: (keeping in mind your stated criteria)

Whites

MX5 - It fits your criteria on all counts. It has a fast recovery (nice in iron laden sites) and goes deep. It's a chatty machine - some like that and some won't. It does great on coins, loves nickels and does a good job of finding the good stuff that is mixed in with trash. I love the MX5 - others do not. The MX5 is light and easy to swing all day.

M6 - I have not used the machine. It fits your criteria though. My understanding is that it is a fantastic coin machine.

Tesoro

Vaquero — I have not used the machine. I recently bought the Compadre though and absolutely love it so far. I don't have a lot of time on it though. My understanding is that the Vaquero is fast, deep and deadly. I believe it and a Vaquero will be the next machine that I purchase.

Just about all of the Tesoro machines fit your criteria — the Tejon is a bit north of your declared financial limit though. I'd also look at the Outlaw, but cannot offer my thoughts on that machine (haven't used it).

The Compadre is light and easy to swing all day. I believe that is the same with their other models.

Fisher

F5 — I haven't used this model, but believe it fits within your stated criteria. I did have the F4 and found it to be a very capable machine (it would certainly do the job you require).

F70 — I'm not sure if this model falls within your price level, but it should be close. Again, I haven't used this model so I can't really comment on it.

The F4 was a light, easy to swing machine.

Tecknetics

G2 — I don't know about the new version, but I loved the old version (wish I hadn't sold it). It was fast, loved nickels (good on other coins too) and fun. Maybe not quite as deep as some of the others that meet your criteria, but it'll still go deep enough to make you tired at the end of the day. Light and very easy to swing. I loved it.

T2 classic — It fits your criteria. I haven't used one. Lots of people do though and love them.

Omega 8000 — I think it is no longer made. I've never used one. My understanding is that they're great on coins.

Garrett

AT Pro — I'm not sure if it fits into your price point, but it meet all of your other criteria. I've never used one. Lots of people do though and many swear by them.

Warranty -

Whites has a two year warranty that is transferable. Great customer service — I believe theirs is probably the best in the market.

Tesoro — lifetime warranty for original purchaser. Hard to beat that.

Fisher/Teknetics — 5 year warranty. I am not sure if the warranty is transferable. My understanding is that their customer service is very good.

Garrett — I think it is two years. I don't know if it is transferable. My understanding is that their customer service is very good.

Do yourself a favor and budget for a pin-pointer too. It'll save you time and frustration.

I agree with most all of the information given above , My family sold Garrett detectors for many years . That being said , it would be my last choice , Iv'e had many of them . They are over priced and have subpar perfomance in my opinion . I would look too , Fisher , Teknetics ,Whites , Makro , Tesoro , even minelab. I think they all have more bang for the buck . I will say if your some what hearing impaired , I would try the Tesoro detectors prior too buying as they are hearing oriented . JMHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....I will say if your some what hearing impaired , I would try the Tesoro detectors prior too buying as they are hearing oriented . JMHO

Thanks to everyone for all their advice. I've been using my Tesoro Tejon quite happily! My hearing is still pretty good, though my eyesight sucks... The Tejon is now fitted with an inexpensive set of "ear pollution, toxixs" brand headphones and an external volume control. Works rather nicely, I think. Total cost of the headphones, volume contron and 1/4"-3.5mm adapter was about $30. Headphones are light, fit under my hat (important), and sound good. If I rip the cord out of these headphones, I can always buy another set for $13 at WallyWorld? ^_^

So far, I like my Tejon, but I'm already thinking 'bout picking up another Tesoro, probably a Compadre, just to keep in the car. ^_^

Here's a pic of the Tejon with headphones:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    900.8 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    739.3 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 183

Top Member Reactions