Newbie question

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all! I'm thinking on starting the hobby as coin roll hunting has really been fun. I have the question of which detector to buy. My price range is 200-250 and I would like a pinpointer as well. I live in SE Ohio, so it is mostly grassland but there are streams\rivers nearby as well. I've seen the ace 350 and that looks like the best so far, but I thought I would ask what you all think on it.

Kentucky Digger

Mar 29, 2016
Boyd County, KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150', Fisher F22, Garrett pro pointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Delta 4000 by teknetics, it is on Amazon for $200 at the current moment. As for a pinpointer the best out there (in my opinion) is ones by Garrett. However they are more in price then the others, but they are definitely worth it!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a Garrett guy, but both are good machines. If you can get the Delta 4000 for $200 you may not be able to beat that for a good starter machine, and it has a 5 year warranty. Both have water proof coils, but be careful not to submerge the control box on either one! And you can't beat the Garrett AT Pin Pointer.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I would never consider any detector with a screen that does not have VDI numbers when there are so many on the market that do.
As mentioned the Delta, Fisher has the F2 and the newer F22, Garrett just came out with their upgraded Ace series today so look at the Ace 300 in your price range instead.
Bounty Hunter has a few decent models now that you can probably find discounted to or near your price range also among others.
Keep looking.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking Teknetics or Fisher , I'm not a Garrett guy I have had many of them and you can get a better machine for less money . I have had several pin pointers and I like my Makro waterproof pointer the best . Stay away from ebay you may get a chinese copy of the real thing . If you want Pm me , I found the Teknetics Delta 4000 with a pinpointer and headphones for 279.00 new . I just don't think I can post the site hear . They also have the T2 for 499.00 which is a top of the line detector from Teknetics . They are free shipping too . JMHO

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all! I'm thinking on starting the hobby as coin roll hunting has really been fun. I have the question of which detector to buy. My price range is 200-250 and I would like a pinpointer as well. I live in SE Ohio, so it is mostly grassland but there are streams\rivers nearby as well. I've seen the ace 350 and that looks like the best so far, but I thought I would ask what you all think on it.

You place a $250 limit on a detector and pinpointer and are speaking of buying a $297 Ace 350. An Ace 350 with a Garrett Propointer is over $400. I believe you need to reevaluate your wants compared to layout.

The best I can get you closest to your $250 limit is a Quick Draw Pro and Deteknix Xpointer. $282. The QDP is the same process used in the Delta, but offers a 10" coil and a 9 segment display set for coins. The XPointer is a less expensive PI pinpointer like the Garrett. I agree that the numeric ID is important for coin searching, and Garrett must feel the same way now that they make the Ace 300 and 400 with numeric ID.
quick-draw-pro-faceplate.jpg

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Tesoro Compadre and pinpointer will fit your budget. I don't think you will find a negative review of that machine.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I consider the numeric readout just as a general guess
the sound is the key

OP
OP
I

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I am going to go with the Delta 4000 as my first detector. I might go with a garret pinpointer as well. I figure i'll just use my tax return on buying some stuff, so around 300-400ish. The rest goes into CRHing funds!! Thanks for all the suggestions though. Also, Ace 350 is under $250 on amazon.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am going to go with the Delta 4000 as my first detector. I might go with a garret pinpointer as well. I figure i'll just use my tax return on buying some stuff, so around 300-400ish. The rest goes into CRHing funds!! Thanks for all the suggestions though. Also, Ace 350 is under $250 on amazon.

I resent you the corrected link you ask for about for the Delta 4000 with the pointer and the headphones for 279.00 with free shipping .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions