Whats the best starter detector? Made recently?

4Strokes1Pick&Poke

May 3, 2016
Arizona, California, Alaska, Oregon, Florida, Loui
Detector(s) used
Garret Pin pointer pro AT. "Other" methods.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's the best starter detector? Made recently?

I know there are plenty of thread on this but I wanna make sure it's up to date 2016. What's a good starter detector? I'm really picky and don't want trash, that's the reason I don't MD much or have given it up and gave away a Garrett and a bounty hunter twice. I want something that tells me it's gold or silver or I don't want it. I know sounds bad and I could miss things, but do they have it? And it's the user too I'm sure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there anyway to tell with the Garrett pin pointer pro AT carrot model between junk and gold. I only use it in the mine to detect hot spots and follow the vein.
No, if you want to dig gold your going to dig junk too...

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope they never make a MD that can single out gold and silver. As it works out now this helps to keep the number of MDers out there at a tolerable amount.
SS

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a "magic" gold and silver detector. All you need to do is send me a certified check for $27,543.00 and I'll get it right out to you! :thumbsup:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What's the best starter detector?

For what type of detecting? In the water? In the ocean? On land? On the beach? For what?

I'm really picky and don't want trash, that's the reason I don't MD much or have given it up and gave away a Garrett and a bounty hunter twice

Nothing else is going to meet your needs then. They can tell you if its iron or not iron but unfortunately gold/silver can sound the same as lots of junk metal.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest a different hobby. That sounds as crazy as only wanting winning scratch offs.

And what may I ask is wrong with me only wanting to buy winning scratch offs?? ???

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a "magic" gold and silver detector. All you need to do is send me a certified check for $27,543.00 and I'll get it right out to you! :thumbsup:
Do you have a pair of those, His and Hers, with sequential serial numbers.:laughing7: :laughing7:
Is shipping free?
Marvin

OP
OP
4Strokes1Pick&Poke

4Strokes1Pick&Poke

May 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold pan worked good today.

Lol I liked all the smart ass responses made me laugh.. Lol hey do they make a gold magnet? wait they do check it out on YouTube guy can pick up silver and gold as long as the rare earth magnet that is spinning. Has to keep rotating and it picks up silver coins etc. Pretty neat and it's real. I'm going with gold bug 2 seems like a decent start again. Gold pan worked good today. I drink beer like I get gold in a Dixie cup and plastic pan woo ahh

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 224

Patrick_Jr

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a good starter detector?
I know it's tough to decide which ever Detector to use. Let me ask first, where are you planning to use the detector? Water or Land and for what? You might want to consider checking other Metal Detectors options as I found mine at 10 Best Metal Detectors 2016 | Things Reports
You'll also get best tips and review on choosing the Metal Detector you need. Good luck on choosing!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I know it's tough to decide which ever Detector to use. Let me ask first, where are you planning to use the detector? Water or Land and for what? You might want to consider checking other Metal Detectors options as I found mine at 10 Best Metal Detectors 2016 | Things Reports
You'll also get best tips and review on choosing the Metal Detector you need. Good luck on choosing!

Most of that list is a joke.

OP
OP
4Strokes1Pick&Poke

4Strokes1Pick&Poke

May 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok for reals! I know there is no detector that just picks up gold and silver but I'm sure some of you can tell by the sound what the metal is before digging. You guys in here are some of the best in the world at discrimination and knowing your device. I will be using it in desert conditions most of the ground is high in iron as black sand is I every wash around. Is there a detector I can train myself that is sensitive enough to at least let me know what metal it is most likely? If it's pop tops, aluminum or iron can I tune that out with the proper detector and practice?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, first thing is to figure out which type of technology you believe you would best associate with: the newer detectors with digital everything yet still can't be certain whether there is a coin or a piece of trash, but the computer makes the decision rather than you (ie: it gives you something else to blame for bad days), or the older analog technology of the tried and true Tesoro detectors?The sounds from modern detectors are either on or off, for the most part. The analog detectors can eeeaaassseee into a tone, or hit sharply, or anywhere in between. In either case, it takes MANY hours of use to be able to learn the language that your specific detector is speaking. Remember, even an AT Pro on the East Coast will have a slightly different dialect than an AT Pro on the West Coast. You may understand the language of both, but the finer nuances will only come with time and use.

I'm not a high-tech guy - therefore, I went with Tesoro. That said, I haven't even broken it in yet! I'm just re-quoting what I've read and learned from others. Hope this helps a little.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my complete and honest opinion, which, may count for nothing... NO detector you buy will NOT find trash. I run a CTX 3030 (Not a cheap machine by any standards...) and I get trash all day long, an XP Deus will find trash, a Garrett AT-Pro will find trash, a Minelab Go-Find 60 will find trash ---- does this mean they are bad, NO. They are METAL detectors. If you want the goods, dig the junk, learn the machine, dig more junk and just when you think you have had enough, out pops that keeper.

Dig the junk, if you dont - you are in the wrong hobby.

EDIT: Read your last post.

If you are searching dry dusty sand and desert, minimal junk and wanting maximum sens... A PI would do the trick i am sure but what type I dont know...maybe a GoldBug 2, FBS (Full band spectrum) CTX 3030, Whites V3I, Tigershark??

All i can say is Dig, Dig, Dig, Dig, Dig. If it repeats and sounds good... dig it. Consider this.

You have a perfect and round ball of gold the size of a pencil eraser, and then another the size of an avocado... They are both gold, but 1 being of large mass will have a much Greater and in turn different signal than that of the pencil eraser. So what ever you get you will have to put in the work to get the gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread