Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really new to the hobbie, used to have a Garret GroundHog and a Garret Deep Seeker.
So I have some experience with older machines and it looks like they have come a long way since then.
I'm now retired and have time to go and resources to get a good machine.
My main targets would be coins and jewelry .
Been looking at Minelabs Safari and E Trac.
E Trac seems to be around the top , but my concern would be getting acquainted with and making it work for me, the Safari seems to be a capable matching that's maybe a bit more user friendly.
What I would really like is to find someone around Central Il that has one of these machines and would be willing to show me first hand.
I will search around the forum as I am brand new here
Thanks
BD

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! My advice is to talk with several of the trusted Sponsor Dealers here on T-Net. Tell them where you live, what you want to find, and what you can afford to spend. The Safari is a great machine. Take a look at this deal from Kellyco Minelab Safari Pro Pack- Kellyco

OP
OP
B

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought there wold be more opinions and thoughts?
I'm going to keep researching before taking the plunge.
Thanks
BD

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought there wold be more opinions and thoughts?
I'm going to keep researching before taking the plunge.
Thanks
BD

What I would really like is to find someone around Central Il that has one of these machines and would be willing to show me first hand.
I will search around the forum as I am brand new here

As Terry suggested, talking to a trusted dealer is a good idea. But if you want to find someone in the local area I suggest you post in other sections of the forum. This one doesn't get much attention.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Top.

The Etrac is a beast to get used to, and it is heavy. Many users utilize slings for added support. It killed my elbow after an hour of swinging it. I actually sold my Etrac to switch to an Excal II - since I'd already picked up the CTX3030 which is much more ergonomic with FBS2 versus FBS.

For coming back into the hobby after over 30 years of absence, I really would recommend the Safari to return to the hobby - much less frustrating. I personally went straight to the Etrac after an absence of nearly 30 years - where my main detector was the Garrett Deepseeker. Back then it was the sound of the target and no VDI. Realistically you'd have a fairly short transition to the Etrac, but still very frustrating and PAINFUL.....

Keep the faith and good luck - AND do consider TNet's supporting vendors - and also take a look at the For Sale forum here.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if weight is an issue the deus weighs 2.3 pounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread