Best metal detector for 400usd?

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Stefs question is hard to explain. On an expensive VDI you could probably mask out all but silver coins (dimes, quarters, halves, etc.). You would be losing lesser coins and you would be losing most gold items. Why losing gold? Because, depending on the karat rating and the alloy used, gold items will read from the range of a nickel all the way up, so you can dig silver and gold and lots of trash, like pulltabs, or just dig primarily silver and never see any gold because when you discriminate or notch out items in the non-silver range, you lose all gold and some small silver like 3 cent pieces. I dig from nickel on up and have a box for the trash items. I know its a pain to have to dig up a lot of trash, but its the price of getting gold objects. Just my opinion, of course. :)

You might want to lower your disc once in awhile because you are missing gold in the foil area.
Maybe not a ton but it is there.
Gold chains, smaller gold items and rings and especially white gold which can be surprisingly large because it is an alloy.
Out of about 3 dozen gold targets my nickel and foil targets, and I am not saying just high foil next to nickel but lower foil too like condiment packages, are about even.

I have found more than just these two almost exact style channel rings with diamonds...this is a popular style of wedding ring.

The yellow 10k gold on the right came in at a 35 on my Fisher, just like a sta-tab.
The ring on the left which is 2 sizes larger, heavier and also 10k but white gold came in as a dead on 24....just like a condiment package or those hated round pull off freshness seals.

I also hate to mention the couple of gold chains I found that came in as iron.

Attachments

• twins.jpg
    twins.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, well, I guess I need to drop it down in areas where I think those small items might be. Since I primarily hunt old areas the chances of getting something like that are slim, but I might do some dry sand areas at local swimming areas, so will keep that tip in mind.

OP
OP
S

stefs

Nov 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you my friends.
What do you think about Golden Mask 1? Or Land Ranger Pro?
This have option to search only worth metals (gold and bronze)?
The higher KHz is better, allright?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread