New to the hobby/addiction-What detector?

troutbug

Jan 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

Great site! I have spent a number of hours browsing it. I am always out exploring the bush, old sites etc. I now want a detector.

Not sure where to start though. I live in Hinton, Alberta and will likely order whatever detector I choose online.

My budget is in the $1000 range to start. I am looking for the best all-round detector in that price range that can detect a number of metals (gold, silver etc)

any help is appreciated, and again, great site!!!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say to take that thousand bucks, go to Kellyco website, pick out something Minelab like a nice CTX, a pointer, extra coil and some digging tool. Use that thousand bucks as your down payment for layaway. They even have a finance button.

You can not go wrong and in the end you will be very happy with your choice.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a good pinpointer, a good Lesche digger and more than likely a set of headphones. So figure that leaves around $750-$800. It's really hard to beat the Fisher F75 at Kellyco for $599.

Just my thoughts.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Pretty much all metal detectors find metal from the cheapest to the most expensive.
It is how they all do it and the programming, circuitry and methods they use to identify the metals they sense and tell you about them is the difference.
Some do a good job on everything shallow, some have more abilities and power to go deeper and there are huge amounts of different features between models and the higher the price the more features you get although not every hunter uses every one of them all the time...some have a few extras built in their tools but never use them at all.

People are all different in this world and so are their opinions.
What is important to some is not going to be to others.
Some owners love their chosen brand or specific model and others never learn to get along well with those same models and how they work no matter how much time they spend trying.

To ask what is the best all around is like asking what is the best all around car...you are going to get a huge amount of different answers from everyone.
Some like speed and power, some like a lot of comfort, gas mileage might be very important to a few to others it might not matter.
People in North Dakota might love heated seats or remote start to warm up their car on a cold morning in the winter before they leave their house and get in it while for an owner in Miami both these features will probably be a big waste of money.

Personally I love the Fisher line, from what I have seen and experienced the upper end models are lightweight and can do most everything and find most metals shallow and deep in just about most situations and conditions you can think of.
For me that would be the definition of an all around capable unit.
My F70 can do amazing things at about a mid level price, the flagship F75 model is about your stated price limit but loaded with all the whistles and bells possible and there is even an anniversary model still available right now with more features than mine, most of the features of the flagship but at a lower price than either of them.
A great value there...there are many other very capable tools out there too.

For every make or model available there is going to be someone that loves it and and another that won't, the key is to figure out what would make you happy in your sites and dirt conditions for going after the kind of targets you are aiming for.

Keep researching and asking questions...take note of model suggestions and research the features and benefits of each one.
For most that stay in the hobby we learn all about these differences and eventually more about ourselves and what kind of hunter we want to be and what would work best for our needs so any future tool decisions and upgrades is usually much easier...at first we don't have this knowledge so it can be confusing.

Many enter this hobby with top end expensive tools and it works out fine but for a few they realize this was not the greatest decision.
Many start lower and build up to the flagship feature rich tools over time.
Your first is important because we learn the basics with them, many upgrade at some time and that one usually an even better fit because of that knowledge we gained.

Good luck.

Last edited:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
You will get different recommendations of all the major brands. The best advice I can give you is decide what you want to look for, watch some videos on that subject and see what those detectorists are using. and get that. My main passion is coins so I hunt with a minelab etrac. It is a great coin detector and loves silver.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread