Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey folks, I'm looking to add a 2nd machine to the arsenal of detectors. Currently using a White's MX5.

The 2 brands I'm currently looking at are Garrett & Fisher. I'm comparing the Garrett AT PRO with the Fisher F70 & F75. To those that have owned any of these, what has been your experience with them? I would think any/all of the detectors I listed would perform as good, if not better, than the MX5. Is that safe to say? Thanks in advance for the help and HH.

-KP

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not going to get into why i like the Garrett better as i have some long posts about it on other threads...but if you can wait about a month and squeeze out a little more cash i would go for the new AT MAX. Garrett AT Gold is a great machine also and comes with the 5x8 coil.

OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger27...I don't detect in water, so waterproofing isn't a necessity. Do you know if the F70 and F75 are similar machines? What is the deepest you've found coins using the F70? I've only founds coins at maybe 7" or so with the White's detector that I'm currently using.

DiggerinVA...does the AT MAX have any added features from the AT PRO?

Thanks to you both for your help.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Vaquero. :headbang:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Digger27...I don't detect in water, so waterproofing isn't a necessity. Do you know if the F70 and F75 are similar machines? What is the deepest you've found coins using the F70? I've only founds coins at maybe 7" or so with the White's detector that I'm currently using.

DiggerinVA...does the AT MAX have any added features from the AT PRO?

Thanks to you both for your help.

The F75/F70/T2 and now the Patriot are all built on the same core platform, same engine and similar technology I assume but with coding and programming differences.
The differences do make a difference in several areas.
The T2 can't use concentric coils for instance while the others can use both kinds so a deal breaker for some plus other differences.

The deepest coins I have found so far in good soil with my F70 were about 10" using the 11" DD coil.
Good repeatable solid signals.
I believe I could find them deeper but I don't think I ever came across any...98% of the deepest coins I ever dug in 3 states even in my oldest sites usually only average in the 6-8" level.
Even an 1865 2 cent coin, my oldest, and a recently found 1898 Barber quarter were fairly shallow and only a couple inches deep.
I have gotten signals way deeper than that in good soil but never dug them.
Not thrilled about going after targets at 12"+ in public parks.
One I did dig was a bit bigger than a coin, a thumb ringer off of an old bicycle bell at a measured 15".
I got curious because it was a solid repeating tone from several directions, I had pretty stable not too jumpy numbers that turned out to be pretty accurate and screen info on every pass which is unusual on extremely deep ones...usually the audio is there but the screen goes blank on targets near the scanning field limit.
Plus when I saw the depth reading bounce between 13 and 14" on such a solid signal with no iron indications or behavior I had to see what this thing was.
I have also dug many solid signal beaver tail tabs at 10" in good soil too, had to, on these those deep ones behave and sound like high conductive dimes for some reason.

In my very rough mineralized and iron infested soil where I hunt now I have succeeded in acquiring coins as deep as 8-9" in the bad stuff, most using the 5" DD sniper coil, and that is shocking to me but it took some work and learning a new language and behavior patterns to do it.
Again I have found some really old stuff here to, even 3 flat buttons that had to be 150 years old at least, but they rarely go much further than 6" on most.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KJP462

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger27--thank you again for the solid information! Much appreciated.

Terry--I'll have to do some research on Tesoro. I'm not familiar with any of their machines...open to all options/brands at this point though!

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe you are on the right track on the choices mentioned here, I wish you luck, I enjoy my current detectors, would like to add a F70, a Omega 6000/8000 or a Patriot to my arsenal as well, to me does not matter, but leaning the F70 as Patriot not available in Canada, and if I can find either for a decent 300 price and range...I maybe dream over my price I would like to buy but the F70 will perform as Digger mentions.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread