Need input on which MD to purchase

tracker_usmc

Oct 4, 2011
Lincoln,CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on TN for a few years now trying to get as much information and knowledge as I can before I purchased a MD. When I first joined TN I was looking at purchasing the MXT but I was to busy getting my business up and going to pull the trigger on one. Now that that my business is stable and established I'm going to finally pull the trigger on a MD. I live in Northern CA close to the gold rush areas of the 1800's. My primary hunting is going to be coin shooting and relic hunting. I plan on hunting old home sites, gold rush era camps, creeks, ponds, swimming holes and rivers in these gold rush areas. I'm leaning on purchasing the MX Sport since it seems all the bugs have been worked out, but wanted input on if any of you think I should wait to see how the Garret AT MAX pans out. So with all that said what are your thoughts on the MX Sport? Do you think the AT MAX will be a better machine and why? I look forward to all your input!

OP
OP
tracker_usmc

tracker_usmc

Oct 4, 2011
Lincoln,CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone?..........Anyone?......Bueller? :laughing9:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
If you are going to be around water those are the two to consider...plus the AT Pro.
You can look at the stats of the new Max and make some suppositions but nobody is really going to be able to answer this question till they are finally released and people use them for a bit.
In this case there is no release date as of yet.
There were about to but they decided to add some things so now it is all up in the air.

Either have patience and hope one day it was worth it when they are released and if they turn out to be superior or get the sport and go hunting...now.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Gold runs at a higher 18kHz, and is better for gold pickers and nuggets but, not as good for deeper silver coins. The AT Pro, running at 15kHz is great for relics, so-so for deep silver coins, and lousy for gold pickers and deeper nuggets. The MX Sport, at a whopping 4lbs, and operating at 13.8kHz excels at nothing, won't find gold pickers or small nuggets but, is better on silver coins than the two Garrett machines.

Do your homework. Ask our sponsors tough questions - because they CAN answer them. Good Luck! :skullflag:

OP
OP
tracker_usmc

tracker_usmc

Oct 4, 2011
Lincoln,CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to be around water those are the two to consider...plus the AT Pro.
You can look at the stats of the new Max and make some suppositions but nobody is really going to be able to answer this question till they are finally released and people use them for a bit.
In this case there is no release date as of yet.
There were about to but they decided to add some things so now it is all up in the air.

Either have patience and hope one day it was worth it when they are released and if they turn out to be superior or get the sport and go hunting...now.

I was also considering the AT Pro but I figure if I decide on the AT Pro I might as well get the MAX after it's been out a few months. Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
tracker_usmc

tracker_usmc

Oct 4, 2011
Lincoln,CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Gold runs at a higher 18kHz, and is better for gold pickers and nuggets but, not as good for deeper silver coins. The AT Pro, running at 15kHz is great for relics, so-so for deep silver coins, and lousy for gold pickers and deeper nuggets. The MX Sport, at a whopping 4lbs, and operating at 13.8kHz excels at nothing, won't find gold pickers or small nuggets but, is better on silver coins than the two Garrett machines.

Do your homework. Ask our sponsors tough questions - because they CAN answer them. Good Luck! :skullflag:

Im not really into looking for gold pickers or nuggets at this time, more into coins and relics. I will be doing some more research of the AT Pro and MXS. Thanks for your input!

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
call DENNIS on a great deal on a new at- pro or any other machine of your choice METALDETECTORS.COM

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't already... buy the mx sport, Mine has been doing very well.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tracker, first and foremost...."Semper Fi" Devil Dog. If you are looking for a detector to hunt both relics and gold and homesites, the Whites MXT family would be a pretty good choice. The MXT Sport would be waterproof where the regular MXT is not. I am a relic hunter here in Georgia and I use the MXT PRO. This is a good detector but it is not waterproof. I personally feel that another strong contender would be the Garrett AT GOLD. This is a powerful detector at 18khz and would be good for gold, relics, and it is waterproof up to 10 ft.JMHO. I was in the Corps from 1976-1979. MOS 2111 small arms infantry repairman (armorer). As you know, one never really get's out. Best of luck to you in your choice of detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread