MX Sport or wait for AT Max

Which one to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TnDigger0083

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I'm a new guy here. But have been digging for a while.
Mostly hunt coins and relics in the southern U.S.
Been using an MXT for the Last 7 years.
Looking to move into a water capable machine.

I'm down the the MX Sport or AT Max.
My budget is about $1,000 and would be willing to consider other brads.
I'm just familiar with Whites and Garrett.

Thanks for your help.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They both would be fine for fresh water hunter but they suffer in the salt.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just keep the MXT for dirt, and get a Tesoro TIGER Shark for your freshwater hunting. Kicks the MX Sport to the curb!! :headbang:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say go with the MX Sport cause yr already used to the 'Whites' #'s & Sounds.

IMO easier & faster to learn the new water Machine.

I went from knowing my XLT , to learning the new sounds & Numbers on my G2+.
7 + months in I'm still learning the G2+.

Still want a MX Sport for rain & water , a Tiger Shark would be cool as well but it helps to have a VDI in the trashy areas I hunt , Even tho a few settings changes will help using the Tiger Shark to get an idea whats in the ground (I'm just to lazy).

Walked almost 5 miles on my last hunt & was to tired to answer the phone let alone adjust knobs.
My Opinion ...GL

OP
OP
T

TnDigger0083

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. I started on a Garret and it was great for coins.
I hope to try both out once a local place gets an AT Max. Are they even shipping to the public yet?

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Got a MX Sport while waiting for the AT Max, scored a Garmin Forerunner 920XT in 3ft of ocean water, so AT Max have a little catch up to do when it gets here..... Have trouble attaching pictures to my posts on this forum, might work it out one day until then no pictures..... Tesoro over here have many hurdles to overcome in order to get one so I leave them be..... ivanll

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
From the sounds of it if it was me i would wait and get the new ..Minelab Equinox..

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While you (and everyone else since May) wait for the Max release, check out Minelabs Equinox that was announced yesterday. I stumbled upon it on the web, and thought it sounded really cool if it's for real. Multi frequency, waterproof, all terrain, wireless, etc. for less than $1,000. Worth a look at least...

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love my sport. but it is not exceptionally different enough from the mxt to justify buying the sport. at max is the same boat as the sport. I would seriously consider another detector to cover more that mxt can't. But boy do I love my sport haha

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I can't recommend the equinox just yet, not enough data in the videos yet, but it sounds promising. I am waiting to see some comparisons with it and other detectors before I purchase. I have to make one purchase count so I am waiting to see how the equinox does going head to head with the other detectors. If it was me i would at least wait till it comes out, supposed to be released anywhere from December to February or so I have heard.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions