Apr 20, 2017
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any advice for buying a new metal detector? I use the garrett AT Pro now and I've been into this hobby for almost a year now. I need a new one that is good at detecting treasure such as coins and relics. I also want one that has a screen that glows when it is dark outside. I was thinking maybe a Fisher F75? Some other brands I've been looking at are Makro, Minelab, and Teknetics? Please help haha...didn't realize there were so many brands. Which one do you use?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"a new one that is good at detecting treasure such as coins and relics"?

are they not metal? does yours detect metal? if you go over a treasure yours will beep

OP
OP
T

thedukeofdelaware

Apr 20, 2017
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I know, I see them being sold as good for detecting gold vs. good for detecting treasure, etc. Although some gold would be nice..

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
never believe what someone claims who is selling you something

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use an f75 as my main detector and love it. You can get the SE for 600 dollars and it has DST, FE tone, FA process. All the things that matter and none of the gimmicks. Will be a game changer in the iron over the ATP and deeper too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thedukeofdelaware

Apr 20, 2017
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Do You recommend the F75 or the SE?

OP
OP
T

thedukeofdelaware

Apr 20, 2017
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks ya big flappin douche bag

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! Do You recommend the F75 or the SE?

I can't see how the f75 SE can be beat for the money. The higher end models are $300.00 more and for what? Boost and cache mode that I'd probably never use anyways....I'll save my 300. Yes, the f75 platform is an old platform by today's standards but it still gets the job done right next to today's top machines. I also love my tesoro tejon and think it's a great bargain too. I don't think it would be good for someone who likes to watch a screen but it's another option. I just think the f75 is a great all around machine.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait for the new minelab to come out . If you can swing a deus that is the hottest detector right now . I had two ATP and sold one to help buy the deus . ATP is like a lead log on your arm . Poor design weight arm ratio .It works good but kills your arm . If you are strapped for cash get the 5x8 if you have not yet . It will up your arm and finds at all the places you have already hit .

OP
OP
T

thedukeofdelaware

Apr 20, 2017
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the good advice.

@HighVDI Does the F75 SE have a screen I can see at night?

@1942 merc Ugh I know...the ATP is so awkward to swing. Are you talking about a minelab equinox?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

@1942 merc Ugh I know...the ATP is so awkward to swing. Are you talking about a minelab equinox?

yes, it has a backlight.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep this in mind multiple frequency detector, that is where the BIG upgrade comes in. I went from a pro to a deus its like four different detectors in one. Not a lot of talk about a detector that can change freq but it makes a BIG difference.. Notice the deus, impact and now equinox all have this feature. There is a reason and I will never buy a single freq detector again unless its for a specialized purpose.

Hotmanshot

Nov 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys!
I'm new to this forum and almost new to treasure hunting and in search of detector for now. and the model I'm thinking of currentely is Garrett ACE 250.
Is there better alternatives for that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

thedukeofdelaware

Apr 20, 2017
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but do we know when it will come out? Thinking about a makro racer 2 or a deus if the minelab equinox keeps taking its sweet time haha

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys!
I'm new to this forum and almost new to treasure hunting and in search of detector for now. and the model I'm thinking of currentely is Garrett ACE 250.
Is there better alternatives for that price.

Tesoro mojave

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bought a F75 (not se or ltd, just F75) for $559 on Amazon last early September. It's popped up to $599 last I looked. Yes it has a back lit screen! I don't need boost or cache, it does have DST for work near power lines, and big for my poor hearing is you can lower the frequency of the tones it generates! It has a pretty powerful discrimination capability with both cutoff and notching in or out a narrow segment. I've used that to include a gold range near pulltab range and found a tiny kid sized gold band with it, < 4 grains at about 3". I'm very pleased with it, but seriously interested in the Equinox 800 as an upgrade. Maybe.

I do believe the Eq800 has a backlit display, but that's less important to me. I have a head lamp that shines with red leds so I don't wreck my night vision, and would prefer to use that. Maybe after the warranty wears out I'll see if the leds in the Fisher can be swapped for red ones! Let us know what you pick.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upgrade after a year? You have a good machine. It took me a couple years to really understand all the machines I’ve had. Don’t think the more money you throw at a machine will automatically increase your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread