NEWBIE: Spectra V3i or Minelab E-Trac?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always push for people to check in to the minelab Safari. I bet you can get a killer deal right now since the equinox is about to be released. I have the Safari, and itā€™s one of those machines that owners swear by. Itā€™s built like a beast, has great depth, can be used on a beach, and eats up silver.

Two things: itā€™s a heavier machine (but built like a tank) and it makes all different sounds. The thing is, you easily learn those sounds and your machine will tell you what youā€™re on, both visually and audibly.

At least check in to it!

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Currentā€¦.Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Pastā€¦.Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the Tesoro Vaquero! The more money you throw at a detector does not mean better finds......

But if you throw medium money at 10 detectors that will cover things?:laughing7: Thatā€™s a collection!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always push for people to check in to the minelab Safari. I bet you can get a killer deal right now since the equinox is about to be released. I have the Safari, and itā€™s one of those machines that owners swear by. Itā€™s built like a beast, has great depth, can be used on a beach, and eats up silver.

Two things: itā€™s a heavier machine (but built like a tank) and it makes all different sounds. The thing is, you easily learn those sounds and your machine will tell you what youā€™re on, both visually and audibly.

At least check in to it!

The Safari is the most overlooked turn on and go machines made. I've had several ctx SEpro and Etracs and the Safari was about my favorite for the audio out of the box. Silver has thy perfect "sqeak" to it. A decent used Etrac is hard to beat as well.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Safari is the most overlooked turn on and go machines made. I've had several ctx SEpro and Etracs and the Safari was about my favorite for the audio out of the box. Silver has thy perfect "sqeak" to it. A decent used Etrac is hard to beat as well.

Couldnā€™t agree more. Itā€™s just solid in all areas. With the equinox coming out, the Safari price could possibly drop even more. The store I bought it from told me it would be the last machine Iā€™d ever need other than an underwater detector. He was right. Itā€™s been over 4 years now with it.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you are new to the hobby, I'd highly recommend you visit a dealer so you can actually hold and try out each of the machines you are interested in. Usually they will have a test plot where you can try the machines too. Their input will be invaluable. Also, when you start detecting, you will be amazed by the amount of metal that is in the ground. If at all possible, hunt with an experienced detectorist. Don't get frustrated and don't second guess your decision to purchase whichever unit you bought.

I enjoy using the E-TRAC in old high trash areas. I purchased a smaller coil and can usually pull old silver coins amongst the trash by going slow. Whatever you decide to purchase, you must learn the machine. Don't be afraid to dig every signal to see what the detector is telling you. Take care and above all, enjoy this great hobby!

ā˜  Cipher

Aug 16, 2016
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites: Spectra V3i, MX Sport, Bullseye TRX. Fisher: F75 LTD, 1280-X, F2. XP: Deus. Minelab: X-terra 70, Garrett: AT Pro, Ace 250, Propointer II. Tesoro: Compadre. Bounty Hunter: LRP, QDP, 3300, 2200,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you chosen yet? It's too bad the Equinox isn't out yet, for two reasons. 1. It sounds like the machine for you. 2. Even if it weren't I expect it to affect the price of other all terrain machines/machines period. I feel like you could probably use a V3i in factory programs, but to get the most out of it you have to be committed to learning a lot about metal detectors and metal detecting. That's where I'm at, soaking up every bit of knowledge I can get my hands on about every function and the complex interactions that occurs when adjustments are made. The V3i is the most versatile user accessible machine ever made. You can rearrange the entire VDI system if you want. With the right dedication I have no doubt that a person could get it as close to perfect as any machine is capable of being. I'm determined, but it requires a lot of experimentation.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
You are going to get a hundred different answers from a hundred different people. My advice is watch videos on all machines that interest you and see which one YOU think you would like the best. If this is your first detector, I don't know if i would go with a very expensive machine. You may end up not enjoying the hobby. If you have already went out and like it, and you like to dig coins, go with an etrac or ctx. I have owned whites fisher minelab and garrett, and the etrac has found more silver for me. The others will find silver too, for me it was easier to pick out the deep silver with the etrac. If you think you will civil war relic hunt, the etrac is probably not the best choice though some may argue with me. I would go with a detector that has very fast recovery for relic hunting. Fishers have good recovery speed. I really don't know that much about the V3I. I am sure its a fine machine. Whites is a good brand and I have owned a dfx which is a great machine, but when I got the etrac, I found more silver, and that is what I like to hunt for.

The good thing about this hobby is its alot like owning firearms. There are different machines for different applications, just like guns. But the best advice I can give is if it is your first machine, I wouldn't break the bank to buy one. Many good machines can be had for under 500 dollars.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Whites MXT Pro, the model below the V3i, is outstanding. I personally don't think that buying the top of the line as a beginner. I did it myself though when getting my first detector, the V3i. The MXT Pro is excellent for the money.

Nomadnailer

Apr 6, 2011
Montrose, WV
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i with dx-1 sunray probe, Whites xlt, Tesoro lobo st,
Idk if you bought the detector yet but I have the V3i and love it, it was my first machine and until I got to reading every post I could find on every forum I was pulling my hair out. But it is the best machine on the market. I also have the Mxsport and it is awesome as well. I hunt beside atpro users all the time and they switch after a couple outings there is no comparison the sport blow the pro away.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I have not owned the v3i, but i have owned the prism series and dfx 300 by whites. The dfx was a fine machine, still is. But like you, i wanted to see what the hype was all about, so i got an etrac. I am glad i did. I have dug more silver with it than all my other machines combined. The FE CO numbers really help in determining if deep signals are silver. They jump around when deep, but after awhile you know what to look for, it will bounce to good numbers frequently, and you better dig.

It is a nickel killer as well. If it is 12 12 or 12 13 and a clean sound, it is a nickel almost 100 percent of the time. It's the best nickel machine as well that i have had.

I haven't dug much gold with it, but when i have, i have had no issues with it detecting it in the ground. I don't hunt for gold much though, i will dig low conductors until i reach my "quota" for the day, then i start to step over the signals and hunt for the silver and coins, which is my favorite.

So if you like to hunt coins more than anything or if it is in your top 3 of items to find, you won't go wrong with the etrac. I have a friend that has the v3i that upgraded from the xlt, and he said it was complicated. This is just one man's opinion, though. But i can say that the etrac was very easy to learn for me.

Many people have the v3i and love it. It looks to me like a very good machine. If you can find a YouTube video of head to head comparison, that will probably tell you more than any of our opinions will. If we don't own both, and i don't, we can only give you one side to the story. But I can tell you the etrac is a great machine.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never even seen a V3i, but I will say this....

I swung an Etrac for about a year. An hour at a time was about it for me, it's an elbow cranker. I sold it and picked up a CTX, the balance was a heck of a lot better. My elbow still hurts at the thought of an Etrac....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread