Latest Innovations

micwhisman

Mar 14, 2018
Tuscola County MI.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Firstly I have been out of the detecting game for 10 years now and looking to get back into it. The last detector I had was the Tesoro Eldorado but looking for a more recent machine in the $300 range.

What would you consider have been the greatest advancements in detecting in the past say 5 or so years? and who stands out as the greatest innovators in detector technology?

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still waiting for one to come with a built in beer holder

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firstly I have been out of the detecting game for 10 years now and looking to get back into it. The last detector I had was the Tesoro Eldorado but looking for a more recent machine in the $300 range.

What would you consider have been the greatest advancements in detecting in the past say 5 or so years? and who stands out as the greatest innovators in detector technology?

Well...everyone has an opinion, so here's mine......

I have an El Dorado, deep and quiet. I picked up a Vaquero, higher frequency, a little deeper, noisier. Basically they added more gain (H.O.T. circuitry) and let you turn it up higher so you can run it on the edge.

I haven't bought a detector in years, but I did last week. Teknetics sells direct online now. They have some discounts that are almost unreal. I have a Fisher F70 I paid $650 for. Teknetics has the identical Patriot model now for $399. That would be the best I'd get if I wanted something deeper than your El Dorado and cheaper. But I bought the Teknetics Liberator. $219, huge discount. It's identical to the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro that goes for $300+. (Fisher, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter all same company now) The Liberator on youtube and in reviews says it will hit a quarter at 10-12". It caught my attention because it has ground grab AND manual ground balance. (The Patriot is ground grab only)

So, for your $300 if it was mine, and I wanted something new to compliment my ElDorado with a VDI and as deep or deeper, I'd get the $399 Patriot or the $219 Liberator.

To answer your question, no, I don't believe there has been any innovations. Nothing but rearranging knobs and buttons and different software routines to sound different....

Personally, I'd put the $300 away and see if anything pops up you want based on my observation that you have $300 and are asking people what YOU should blow it on....

Cheers

:occasion14:

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still waiting for one to come with a built in beer holder

It really is hard to hold a beer and detect.... maybe something could be sold as an add on?

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get one of those Baseball hats that have the built in cup holders and Sippy straws, I think they were popular like never ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread